Washdown Pump install 86 204c

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Got tired of reaching overboard and getting water for the deck messes, so I purchased a jabsco 4gpm washdown pump kit.
I have the idea of how to install the plumbing, but am curious of the electrical, I have 2 extra wires (orange and black stripe) When I look on the grady wiring diagram these were intended for livewell/washdown.

Ok thats good no need to run wire (thanks grady-w). My accsessory switch has noting connected to it so I will attach one of the orange wires to in and re-label it. Will connect it to the hot lead on the pump. Now for the ground here is the question:

Do I run a wire to the ground bar up front at the helm or just attach the ground wire on the pump to to the battery that is like 4 inches from the pump? or......

should I rip out the pre installed orange wires out as they are old and were installed 30 some years ago, run a new 2 wire marine grade insulated wire to the helm and new pump...

gw204

Reaction score
When I did a partial rewire on my old 204F, I hacked up the mess of spliced and electrical taped ground wires in the back of the boat and installed a bus bar for all the grounds for stuff at the back of the boat (bilge pump, washdown, fuel fill, gas tank, stern light, etc.) on the inside of the transom. Then I crimped on ring terminals and grouned everything indiviually to that bus bar. The bus bar had a lead that ran up to the batteries that I had moved to under the console.

Truthfully, I don't remember exactly how the ground was run. I seem to recall having another grounding post that collected the grounds under the console and that had one main lead that ran to the batteries.

If the existing wires aren't all corroded up and the size will support the draw of the pump, I would just use 'em.