Washdown Pump - ongoing issue

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I have a terrible washdown pump issue with my Voyager 248 that I think I have solved but looking for some input from other Voyager/Journey owners - specifically, how many inches above the bildge floor is the top of your washdown pump mounted??

I believe when replacing the original pump I mounted the replacement pump higher to save hassle but I not certain as I have since had to replace the replacement pump(s) 5times in as many years. I think the real issue is that I leave the washdown pump switched-on while running on plane which forces water into the pump electronics and frys the motor or pressure switch - but while I at it, I though it best to confirm I do not have the pump mounted too high etc....

Thanks for your help!!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
You do not have it mounted too high if you get water without undue delay (at rest, not running) ... :uhm

seasick

Reaction score
I am not sure that is the problem. Even if the pump is switched on, it doesn't run unless tou use the washdown hose.
If for whatever reason, the pumps gets starved for water when on plane, running dry could damage it so the question is wheter the pump remains primed or not.

The pump 'electronincs' as you call them should not get wet from the water pressure. The whole unit might get wet but that is a different issue.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
5-Salt Fever said:
I have a terrible washdown pump issue with my Voyager 248 that I think I have solved but looking for some input from other Voyager/Journey owners - specifically, how many inches above the bildge floor is the top of your washdown pump mounted??

I believe when replacing the original pump I mounted the replacement pump higher to save hassle but I not certain as I have since had to replace the replacement pump(s) 5times in as many years. I think the real issue is that I leave the washdown pump switched-on while running on plane which forces water into the pump electronics and frys the motor or pressure switch - but while I at it, I though it best to confirm I do not have the pump mounted too high etc....

Thanks for your help!!

Whats happening that you go through 1 pump a season? Is there any obvious corrosion on the pump or does it just stop working? Just be aware that before you toss the pump the pressure switch tends to fail over time and is replaceable. I just did mine late last season and she pumps like new. The pressure switch is about $50 which isnt bad compaired to a new pump at about $140. Same applies to the freshwater pump.

BTW my pump is mounted pretty much level with the deck

'05 300 Marlin F250's

cgmiller

Reaction score
I may be focusing on the obvious, but it sounds like he said that he never shuts the pump off? Why would you leave the pump on constantly, especially when running at speed?? I dont even like to leave my sea cock open when running the boat..I fear that the water being forced in the pickup would blow a hose off the pump or something bizzare that could sink the boat...

seasick

Reaction score
If the pump is never shut off AND there is a water leak downstream, the pump will run continously and it isn't designed to do so.
One other possoble issue that we face here in NY is that depending on how it is plumbed, it may hold water in the off season and freeze. I make sure my pump and lines are dry before storage.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
5-Salt Fever said:
I have since had to replace the replacement pump(s) 5times in as many years.

That's not acceptable. I suspect it's your "below waterline" mounting location which permits water intrusion into the electric motor, thus rusting it out. It has nothing to do with the switch being "on" while you are running.The pump's internal pressure switch is overriding you dash switch and turning the motor off unless you have a hose leak. Many years ago, it was the commonly accepted practice to mount washdown pumps below the boat's waterline, and as a matter of fact, the manufacturer's mounting instructions recommended it as I recall. Then, for a number of years, the mounting instructions became ambiguous as to the mounting location. I persisted in mounting the pumps below the waterline and I paid the price. Eventually, after tearing several units apart, I got a clue and changed the mounting location to above the waterline and solved my problem. It seems that the seals that separate the electric motor from the pump are no longer up to the task, even though the motor is ALWAYS mounted above the pump. I just noticed that ShurFlo's mounting instructions now insist that their washdown pumps be mounted ABOVE the boat's waterline.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Pumps have been failing after just a couple of outings. Brand does not matter as I have tried 3 different with same short life. Pump get switched on once fish come in the boat and in the flurry of the action the pump does not get shut off before we pick up to chase jumpers (tuna). The pump and related system does not leak nor does the pump cycle but maybe for 1second every 30mins.

I am not even certain the running is the real issue except for most recent failure lasted three outing and when failure was noted, I also noticed I left it on while running to new spot for 10-15mins. The pump is not currently mounted below or above waterline but at about the waterline +/- 1-2inches.

What I do know for certain is that the OEM pro-blaster pump lasted 11years without issue and since it has been a royal pain!!

I am looking to eliminate variables. Every pump is benched tested after failure to ensure poor connection is not the issue. What has been noted on the past two failures was corrosion around edge of metal pump housing and/or pressure switch which would indicate water (salt) intrusion...potentially from leaving is running while underway or ????

Pumps have been warranteed in all one case....I am just tired of removing, shipping, re-installing and not having a washdown when fishing.

seasick

Reaction score
lgusto said:
Anyone know enough about electrical motors to say if this problem could be caused by unregulated voltage?
No to the unregulated voltage.. At least not the corrosion. High voltage might lead to overheating but that would not corrode the housing. It sounds like damage from external salt water.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
5-Salt Fever said:
Every pump is benched tested after failure to ensure poor connection is not the issue. What has been noted on the past two failures was corrosion around edge of metal pump housing and/or pressure switch which would indicate water (salt) intrusion...potentially from leaving is running while underway or ????

My experience exactly. I believe you've correctly identified the problem - salt water intrusion. Why is this happening? My cynical take would be that these pumps are not made as well as they used to be (where are they made anyway?) and are simply not fit for their intended use. Heaven forbid that you should actually turn the pump on and use it. It would be ridiculous if you had to stop the boat every time you wanted to use the washdown. All I can say is that I moved the mounting location and since doing so, the unit has not failed. It probably will eventually, but anything to extend the service life is probably worth doing. Here's what ShurFlo says:

MOUNTING
· Consider a dry location that allows easy access if maintenance is required. The pump should not
be located in an area of less than one cubic foot unless adequate ventilation is provided.
Excessive heat may trigger the integral thermal breaker and interrupt operation. When the
temperature drops the breaker will automatically reset and start operation.
· Mount higher than the outside water (sea) level. The pump is capable of a 6 ft. [2M] vertical
prime above the outside water level. The pump can be mounted in any position. If mounting
the pump vertically, the pump head should be in the down position.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Agreed.

Mounting wise the OEM Sureflow was mount in same space only lower or below water line somewhat. It lasted 11years.

New pumps have been mounted at roughly same height/location =/- 1-2inches. This is realy start to anger me...if I was to get a whole season then fine but I am not even getting 3-4days.

Very frustrating.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
lgusto said:
Can you post a picture of the pump's location or where it has been mounted in the past?

The boat is in storage so it will be a while.

Basically, is mounted under the aft seat on the bulkhead that is aft of fuel tank - same spot as original factory installed pump =/+ a few inches higher/lower.

lgusto

Reaction score
Understood. The reason I ask is that we all seem to agree that something's fundamentally wrong here. I use my pump constantly April though November and it's still the original from 2005.

Is your pump mounted anything like mine? Note their relation to the scuppers, which gives a sense of the waterline. Also, anything that might be dripping on the pump rather than submersing it? Just looking for clues since I can't imagine having any unreliable equipment on my boat.

DSCF0032.JPG

seasick

Reaction score
Do you rinse your bilge with salt water?