Washdown pumps, 3.5 vs 4 gpm.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Putting a Shurflo Blaster raw water washdown pump on my 180 Sportsman. Is there any practical reason to go up to the 4gpm model?

Pressure differential is 45psi vs 60psi. water will shoot further and hit harder with the 4gpm but is that of any practical use on an 18ft boat where I'll be able to pretty much reach everywhere with the hose?

One other concern is that it will be plumbed into the extra outlet on the livewell pump, any chance the live well pump could be starved for water?

thanks,

Rob

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you have a washdown pump and were satisfied with it stay with the same or similar model. Keep the mounting and hoses the same.

I run my washdown pump off my Rule bait tank pump. No problem.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Putting a Shurflo Blaster raw water washdown pump on my 180 Sportsman. Is there any practical reason to go up to the 4gpm model?

Pressure differential is 45psi vs 60psi. water will shoot further and hit harder with the 4gpm but is that of any practical use on an 18ft boat where I'll be able to pretty much reach everywhere with the hose?

One other concern is that it will be plumbed into the extra outlet on the livewell pump, any chance the live well pump could be starved for water?

thanks,

Rob
It's highly unlikely that a 4gpm pump will drain the ocean faster than a secondary pump can also pull water in :)

60PSI has more cleaning power.

In the end... it doesn't really matter. It's an insignificant point to discuss.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Both the washdown and the livewell will be supplied by the single inlet on the bottom of the livewell pump, has nothing to do with draining the ocean, has to do with starving a pump when they are both running. Not an insignificant point.

This is the first washdown pump on this boat so can't "replace what's there".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 1.54.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 1.54.28 PM.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2

seasick

Reaction score
It doesn't realty matter but as pointed out, pick the pump that will enable the easiest refit.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
As I have pointed out, it is not a refit.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Cleaning power comes from the pressure, not the volume, go with the 65psi. When you remove the tip from a pressure washer, there is very little volume, less the the hose supplying it. You could use an A/B switch to use one pump at a time, or just use the WD in short blasts.

seasick

Reaction score
As I have pointed out, it is not a refit.
OK. You are adding a washdown pump to an existing seacock mounted livewell pump.
Therefore yoy washdown will not look like the one shown but rather more like the Shurflow Blaster II which is rated at 3.5 GPM. The Shurblaster Pro at 4 GPM is about a 100 bucks more. Before choosing that option, check the current draw for both and the piping size. I believe the Pro draws 10 amps versus the Blaster II at 7.5 amps.Tthat may or may not be a concern depending on the gauge of any existing wiring you might be using (including grounds)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Both the washdown and the livewell will be supplied by the single inlet on the bottom of the livewell pump, has nothing to do with draining the ocean, has to do with starving a pump when they are both running. Not an insignificant point.

This is the first washdown pump on this boat so can't "replace what's there".
It is, indeed, insignificant. Look at the numbers compared to what can flow through the thru-hull.

Yamama04107

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I lobster off a 25 Freedom and it gets trashed afterwards. I installed a Jabsco HotShot 6gpm, 70 psi pump. Came with a gun and all the works. Love the extra power/pressure it provides.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I replaced my stock pump with Jabsco HotShot 6gpm, 70 psi pump . The pressure and volume helps cleaning the deck. I have 2 pick ups on my current boat . One for live well and another for deck wash. My old 228 didn't come with deckwash, I used a rule dual pick up livewell pump like Hookup1 used . I never had any problem running short of water on the livewell.
I will say that the deckwash is not constantly used. I prefer that to the alternative of putting another hole on the bottom of the hull.