washing an OB motor; cowling off

Zebco33

Reaction score
wanted everyones opinion on cleaning an OB motor. A co-worker of mine swears by spraying his engine down with WD -40 and wipping it down to prevent corrosion. I've never considered this or have attempted. I keep my bote in the water year round and only pull her to clean or repaint the bottom, so I need to stay on top of the corrosion battle.

Q: How does everyone clean there OB's or do you?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Zebco: The newer motors which have 02 sensors should not be sprayed with WD-40. Hopefully, the newer motors also collect less salt under the cowling. Personally, I just wipe it down with a damp sponge on occassion.

Rob

maleko38

Reaction score
washing ob cowl off

When I service engines I use Boshield's T-9 on all the stainless bolts. No need to wipe off, when it dries it leaves a protective film.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd avoid WD-40 on electicals, CRC is much better. WD-40 has had issues with some components before, I used to spray it but stopped after hearing many horror stories, CRC is much better and I find it to work and last longer, it is also supposed to be safer on electrical components.

SlimJim

Reaction score
JIT Gave me a can of T9 and swears by it, he told me to use once in awhile on the engines and I have and it seems to work well.

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I know with my cowling it is a bear to wrestle off the powerhead, and sometimes I knock the gasket out of place. You have to be sure your gasket is in place and your latches are greased and adjusted properly. The gasket may also try and roll, if you look at the gasket with the cowling in place and latched and you see an area that the gasket appears twisted you need to take the cowl off and correct that spot or water and salt spray will get in. I wipe mine out with a sponge and then go over it with a rag soaked with crc, keeps her looking new.
Pat

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
engine, cowl

At the beginning of the season when I wax my boat, I will put a couple coats of wax on the cover and really make it shine. it really brings the depth out, too. Marine grade grease on all the fittings and moving parts should hold up. Since you said you keep your boat in the water I really don't recommend spraying CRC on the lower units simply because of the over spray and environmental issues. The only thing WD-40 is good for is wedging the handle open at the gas pump! leave the WD-40 at home.
A fresh water washdown should take care if salt issues if you are consistent and zincs or "sacrificial anodes" should eliminate any corrosion problems.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
SlimJim said:
JIT Gave me a can of T9 and swears by it, he told me to use once in awhile on the engines and I have and it seems to work well.

that is right

i found new stuff now, lol

fluid film, we will be carrying at the shop

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
Definitely stay away from WD40. WD40 will soften and eventually destroy any electrical casings. CRC is the way to go and T-9 is excellent on any electrical connections and will protect them from salt air and moisture. It's really great stuff but I wouldn't spray my engine with it. JMHO!