Washing the exterior of under-the-floor fuel tank / GW 208

antaris

Reaction score
Good morning all,

My factory-installed, original fuel tank has accumulated dirt/gunk over the years - I can see through the deck-plates. It is a plastic Moeller tank and is permanently installed* under the floor. Has 2 exposed (i.e. unpainted) wooden planks holding it into place**.

Is it advisable to wash the exterior of the tank and fittings with water (no too much pressure, sure) via the deck-plates? Can I safely presume that the water escapes from under the tank, and through to the bilge? I wouldn't want to have filth water trapped under my tank, obviously!

Any Ideas?

Many thanks!

NOTES:
* I cannot believe that in the GW Adventure 208 there is no access to the fuel tank for checking or (in the future), replacement. That is a true design fault, IMHO, albeit the cost savings.
** Has been discuseed before - a weird choice from GW's side - although I must say my timber still looks fine (no rotting)...yet - GW should have thought of a better solution.

seasick

Reaction score
Re: Washing the exterior of under-the-floor fuel tank / GW 2

antaris said:
Good morning all,

My factory-installed, original fuel tank has accumulated dirt/gunk over the years - I can see through the deck-plates. It is a plastic Moeller tank and is permanently installed* under the floor. Has 2 exposed (i.e. unpainted) wooden planks holding it into place**.

Is it advisable to wash the exterior of the tank and fittings with water (no too much pressure, sure) via the deck-plates? Can I safely presume that the water escapes from under the tank, and through to the bilge? I wouldn't want to have filth water trapped under my tank, obviously!

Any Ideas?

Many thanks!

NOTES:
* I cannot believe that in the GW Adventure 208 there is no access to the fuel tank for checking or (in the future), replacement. That is a true design fault, IMHO, albeit the cost savings.
** Has been discuseed before - a weird choice from GW's side - although I must say my timber still looks fine (no rotting)...yet - GW should have thought of a better solution.
As long as the drain tubes are clear, water will drain into the bilge. That said, it is tough to 'clean' the exterior of the tank.