Water in bilge - Freedom 285

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I've been finding water in my aft bilge after big rainstorms. Is this normal or should I be concerned that something is not working properly? Boat is only 2 months old.

seasick

Reaction score
On a lighter side, water in the bilge after a rain storm is much less of a problem than water in the bilge when it hasn't rained:)
I am not familiar with the construction of the 285 so my comments are somewhat generic.

Some water may be expected. The real question is how often the bilge pump gets activated. If for example, during heavy rain, the bilge pumps runs every 30 seconds, you have an issue that needs to be looked at.
On the other hand, maybe there is a bit of standing water in the bilge that isn't deep enough to trigger the pump.
Unless you are there to watch the bilge through hull, it isn't easy to know how serious the problem may be. There are some electrical counters that can be wired to the pump(s) and count how often they run.

Hopefully someone with direct experience on that model will chime in.
So in the best case, no big deal. In the worst case since the boat is new, something wasn't sealed or plumber correctly.
Keep us informed.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My 330 gets up to an inch of water in the bilge after a heavy rain. I believe most of it comes in thru the anchor locker hatch and the windlass hawse pipe. It is never enough to activate the float switch and bilge pump. I suspect it also comes into the rod holder grommets and around the generator compartment hatch when the rain is blowing sideways. I maintain the o-rings on all of the round access panels with silicon grease and change them every few years, but I don't think they leak enough to matter. I can vacuum it out, but often have to wait as it takes a little time for the water to find it's level via the "limber" holes which are really pipes connecting the various bilge areas in our larger boats. I am currently in the process of taping off suspect areas to determine the major source, but I am not at all concerned, more curious.

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
After further investigation, I think the water is coming through the anchor locker. Doesn't appear to ever be enough to activate the bilge...just a couple inches. Not too worried. Will have the dealer check it out when I take it out of the water for winter. Thanks all for the input.

yarbrowm

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
How do you like the 285 overall? What did you have before? Any regrets with respect to that GW model as compared to other GW models? I recently sold my second 275 and am aiming for the 285.

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I love the 285. Nothing to compare it to though as it’s my first boat. I was worried about the size for my first boat but its been pretty forgiving. The new Yamaha motors and digital electric steering help a lot on that front I think. No regrets at this point, though I’m already thinking about a bigger boat that I can sleep on a few years down the road.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Daniel, would you elaborate on the digital electric steering.....sounds very cool. I still have the old school hydraulic seastar steering.

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
The new Yamaha F300 engines now have the internal electric steering mechanism that previously was only available on the 425's. Makes steering much lighter and in my opinion, precise. Digital throttle controls also enable much more precise throttle control, all of which makes low speed handling much easier, especially for newbies like me. I also have the Helm Master joystick, but have not really had to use it much since the steering and throttles are already so easy to use. I drove a friends boat the other day, with twin Yahama 200's with the old hydraulic steering and was very surprised at how much stiffer and less precise it was. Again, from the perspective of a new boat owner. I'm sure lots of the old guard mariners out there are perfectly happy and capable with their hydraulic systems.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the electrical steering. Since I have never experienced the ease of the electric, quite happy to run with the hydraulic system......for now. Impressed with the the advancement in outboard tecknolagy and ongoing ease of use.