water in bilge

fshlbi

Reaction score
I went to pick up my 20 escape (on trailer) to take it to get it serviced and I noticed after a heavy rain that water was pouring out of the bilge. I know that it is normal for water to come out the scuppers while the boat is on the trailer, but should water be collecting in the bilge like this when it's on the trailer? or is this a sign that my boat has a leak somewhere?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's likely getting in either through the anchor locker ...cupholders that drain to the bilge...or around the seats aft.

Sometimes it's rain...sometimes its from washing the boat.

If the water doesn't smell like fuel or saltwater, I'd say you are fine....

seasick

Reaction score
fshlbi said:
I went to pick up my 20 escape (on trailer) to take it to get it serviced and I noticed after a heavy rain that water was pouring out of the bilge. I know that it is normal for water to come out the scuppers while the boat is on the trailer, but should water be collecting in the bilge like this when it's on the trailer? or is this a sign that my boat has a leak somewhere?

Did the water pump out when you lifted the trailer to tow it?
Water can accumulate in the forward bilge and depending on the boats angle, may not flow aft until the bow is lifted.
That is one possibility.
Water can also enter via the anchor locker but it should flow aft also.
Rain water on the deck should in general not get into the bilge since the deck should self bail through the scuppers but you might have leaks in deck plates, deck drains etc.
My feeling is that if you got water pumping out when you put hooked up the boat to the tow vehicle, it was forward water that didn't drain aft. That is not a problem ( unless the boat is exposed to freezing temps of course)