Water in bilge.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I seem to have quite a lot of water getting into my bilge while fishing. My aft bilge automatically cuts on regularly while running. I do have the head, washdown and livewell seacocks open. Where would anyone suggest I start. It doesn’t get water while just sitting. Thanks

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What model boat are we talking about? Is your boat outboard powered or I/O? You say you are taking on water while running with all seacocks open. Try running with all seacocks closed. Still taking on water? If not then open one seacock at a time and figure out which system is at fault. It sounds as though the pressure applied to hoses and their attachment points would be suspect. Be sure to check the gasket on the filter for the wash down pump. Also be aware that those plastic filter housings are very prone to cracking due to age. Also if the seal is an O ring they can shrink and be hard to get in place properly. It's just a process of elimination to find the culprit.

Reactions: PointedRose

wbdenamur

Reaction score
What model boat are we talking about? Is your boat outboard powered or I/O? You say you are taking on water while running with all seacocks open. Try running with all seacocks closed. Still taking on water? If not then open one seacock at a time and figure out which system is at fault. It sounds as though the pressure applied to hoses and their attachment points would be suspect. Be sure to check the gasket on the filter for the wash down pump. Also be aware that those plastic filter housings are very prone to cracking due to age. Also if the seal is an O ring they can shrink and be hard to get in place properly. It's just a process of elimination to find the culprit.
Marlin 300. I’m suspecting the head intake. I will try the all closed and one at a time.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would suspect that the inner tub of your live well is not sealed at the top, and it is overflowing, or splashing, into the bilge when you are running. It is a common occurrence.
If that seacock is shared by something else, like the wash down, remove the stand pipe in the live well, so that it will drain from the bottom, and not fill to the top of the stand pipe……. Unless you’re using it for bait.

Last edited:
Reactions: brdawg2001

Family Tradition

Reaction score
I have a Marlin. If I'm understanding your statement your seacock for your overboard discharge (head) is open while underway?? If this is the case I have always been told not to open the discharge valve while underway. I don't believe that would be a cause of water in the bilge but bad practice. My head works off my fresh water tank also.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I would suspect that the inner tub of your live well is not sealed at the top, and it is overflowing, or splashing, into the bilge when you are running. It is a common occurrence.
If that seacock is shared by something else, like the wash down, remove the stand pipe in the live well, so that it will drain from the bottom, and not fill to the top of the stand pipe……. Unless you’re using it for bait.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I have a Marlin. If I'm understanding your statement your seacock for your overboard discharge (head) is open while underway?? If this is the case I have always been told not to open the discharge valve while underway. I don't believe that would be a cause of water in the bilge but bad practice. My head works off my fresh water tank also.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I would not use 5200. Don’t know how the Marlins live well is laid out, but on the 228, it comes in and out fairly frequently. I would look for a compressible rubber seal.
What do you mean by it comes in and out. It isn’t removable. I’m not getting that statement.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I would not use 5200. Don’t know how the Marlins live well is laid out, but on the 228, it comes in and out fairly frequently. I would look for a compressible rubber seal.
Perhaps butyl tape would work well for this purpose

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I’ve been wondering if that was possible. I will run sealant. 5200?
I wouldn’t use 5200, I have a Marlin and run with seacocks open and the bilge is dry as a bone, sounds like a hose loose.

seasick

Reaction score
Some livewells fill when under power. I don't know if yours does but I would close that seacock first. My second thought was to ask if you get whater when at the dock but with people on board. The weight will ower things and a thruhull or scupper may have a leak

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another common source of water ingress underway is the hull to cap joint under the rub rail. I had to have mine recaulked in places and some screws replaced.

seasick

Reaction score
Another common source of water ingress underway is the hull to cap joint under the rub rail. I had to have mine recaulked in places and some screws replaced.
Good suggestion.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
No 5200..that is an adhesive. My livewell will fill up underway as well if the seacock is not closed..I need to seal mine as well

Fishtales

Reaction score
First you need to determine if salt or fresh water is the issue. Salt can come in via the anchor rode, windows, under rub rail, deck and deck plate seals, live well, thru hulls or hoses. Fresh water can come in via hand held sprayers leaking, sink fixture leaks (I've had both), head leaks (vacuflush), cup holers and I'm sure a few more. Gotta go through them all and determine most likely spot and then take action to correct. If you swing and miss, you keep going.