Water in cabin - Grady 360

pablor

Reaction score
Hi everyone

it has happened three times now that in days of high seas (6-8 ft), when we take a lot of water over the bow, water comes into the windlass locker and from there it fills up and water comes into the cabin from the locker access panel behind the front berth. this panel is just velcroed and lets all of the water in without a problem. i have had the drainage pipe of the locker clogged before with seaweed and such, but it seems that this is a design problem. I called Grady and they told me that the boat was not designed to be in such rough seas!!! may be not their words exactly, but pretty much what he meant. anybody seen this?

richie rich

Reaction score
I've been in 5's and 6's (not on purpose) in my sailfish and have taken water over the bow...water did go into the anchor locker but I never recall it getting into the cabin. At least not enough to bother me. Since water can only get in around the seams of the hatch, the amount that does get in drains into the bilge without building up and running into the cabin....so mine drains well.....I have seen some boats actually put a thru-hull at the bow to directly drain their anchor locker to the outside. I was thinking of doing the same just to minimze water getting into the bilge itself and keeping it drier.

You're right though, its not the best design...not sure why the opening is needed from the inside anyway...I have never used it.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
pablor said:
Hi everyone

it has happened three times now that in days of high seas (6-8 ft), when we take a lot of water over the bow, water comes into the windlass locker and from there it fills up and water comes into the cabin from the locker access panel behind the front berth. this panel is just velcroed and lets all of the water in without a problem. i have had the drainage pipe of the locker clogged before with seaweed and such, but it seems that this is a design problem. I called Grady and they told me that the boat was not designed to be in such rough seas!!! may be not their words exactly, but pretty much what he meant. anybody seen this?[/quo
For What you paid for that rig - Grady owes you a better response -I would elevate it - I am surpised that that boat even had an issue like that with 6-8 - Ive seen that boat just cruise through stuff that my Sailfish struggled with. Good Luck

lgusto

Reaction score
Pablor,

I had a similar problem in my boat. Anytime we were in a head sea large enough to bring spray over the bow the cabin would get soaked, After two years of trying different solutions my dealer finally resealed the entire hull-to-deck joint under the rub rail and installed a new run rail. The cabin now stays dry as a bone through all seas.

The dealer's explanation is that the joint was not sealed properly during construction since the leaks were occurring on both sides of the boat. The other possible cause for a bad seal is damage from hard knocks when docking, not the case for me. They went on to say that when they sprayed water with as much pressure as possible into that seam while at dock there were no leaks. But in a head sea the natural flex of the boat allowed the joint to open slightly and let in water.

I'm not a marine engineer so I can't say whether or not their explanation makes sense. But I can say my boat is now dry.

Good luck with the issue.