Water In Fuel alarm

john s

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a new GW ownner --- just this past saturday took delivery of a new Tournament 275. Happy to report that my first few hours exceeded my expectations -- which were already pretty high. I've owned Sea Rays and a Boston Whaler, and while they were fine boats, my early impression is that my new Grady is in a very different class.

To my question -- twice over the weekend I had a "water in fuel" alarm indicated on my tach. I am assuming that there may have been some condensation formed in the tank while the boat sat on the dealer's lot over the last year. Further guessing that a simple change of my fuel/water separators may solve the problem. I plan on picking up some spares and making the change this weekend, but figured I'd put this up on the board to see if anyone had any ideas about what else might trigger this alarm. Greatly appreciate any of your thinking on this.

Thanks....

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yamaha has had a lot of trouble with the sensors. There are two different fixes one if the problem tends to occur in rough seas and another if it occurs during calm seas. I'd talk to your dealer about it.

Once you determine it is the sensor and not an actual water in fuel problem, you can unplug the sensor until you get the fix installed.

RJTFD

Reaction score
What kind of remote water separaters do you have? Are they the ones with the clear bowl and sensor on bttom( racor type) or the blue yamaha ones? If you dont have the ones with the sensor on the bottom than it could just be some corrosion on end of terminals. I'm not talking about bowls under cowlings just the ones mounted in your transom area. I had similar problem and found the ends that were taped up and opened them cleaned them and retaped problem solved.
Good luck

F18amec

Reaction score
I had exact same problem when I purchased my Grady, and 08 208/150/4 stroke.
At about 10hours got "Water in Fuel" alarm.
The problem is the Fuel/Water Separater on the Engine itself, it's located dead center forward section of the engine when you remove the cover.
When I took it in to get fixed, Service Manager told me flat out that Yamaha made the initial sensor too sensitive. They know about the problem and have re-calibrated the sensors, but they have not issued a recall. So, take it to your dealer, they will replace it under warranty. I had mine replaced last summer, have put 60+ hours on the boat since and not a problem one. Last week I changed the inline fuel/water separator because I noticed my fuel pressure was fluctuating at idle. Changed the filter, which was a year old, fuel pressure is dead center on the guage and rock steady!

Rick
Capt. Huki Lau2

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I agree w/ Huki Lau. When my 225 was new in '08 I had the same issue w/in the first ten hrs. I had read about the problem previously here on Great Grady so I sort of expected it. After the initial service it has never happened again. Chances are it is a sensor problem and not water in your fuel Have your 10-20 hr service done and see if it ever happens again. I'll bet it doesn't.

john s

Reaction score
Thanks all. Really appreciate your thinking on this. I spoke with my dealer about this...he did indicate that there has been a long standing issue with this sensor on the 250's. I'll be bringing it in for the 20 hour service at the end of the season...said they'd change them out at that time.

RJTFD...regarding the separators, they are the yamaha solid blue type. I will probably hold off on changing them out until we change out the sensors, but will be buying some spares to keep on board. Any preference between the racor separators and the yamahas..?

Thanks again for your feedback on this.

exudedude

Reaction score
Racors all the way. There is a guy on ebay that sells them cheap if you buy in bulk.

ticklestik

Reaction score
I have a 28' Release that I purchased new in 2007 with 2-250 FS. I got my first "water in fuel" signal after about 10-15 hours. The dealer cleaned the sensors at the engines and cleaned out the fuel tank. I also replaced the Yamaha fuel filters with the Racor filters that have the clear bowl on the bottom

I continued getting the signal over the next 18 months and did find water in the fuel at the Racors, so I paid to have the fuel tank cleaned out again. It has been ok for the past 9 months, but I do try and keep more than half a tank of fuel at all times. I live in Florida and my problem could be due to excessive humidity. I also add Startron whenever I add fuel.

Good luck.