Water in Gas Warning at 10 hours!

F18amec

Reaction score
Quick vent and a question, was out with the family on Ches. Bay, got a "Water in Fuel" Warning & Buzzer. Engine only has 10 hours!(Made it back to dock no problems, other than warning) I have done my research and am fully aware of the ethanol issue with water separation etc. I added stabilzer to fuel, as of the moment I take her out every 10-14 day, weather/work permitting. I'm going to be taking her in for 10 service anyway, and I know I have to change the fuel/water separator, is this normal, about 10 hours till it needs changed? Yamaha Tech manual says every 50 hours! BTW I run 87 Octaine. Suggestions/Advice welcome
Thanks! 8)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
This alarm went off on our boat when we were doing the final sea trial before delivery in April. In the F250 motor there were some faulty sensors according the dealer. They replaced it and have not had the issue since. Perhaps this is all it is?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
This alarm went off on our boat when we were doing the final sea trial before delivery in April. In the F250 motor there were some faulty sensors according the dealer. They replaced it and have not had the issue since. Perhaps this is all it is?

Ditto, the sensos were too sensitive.

F18amec

Reaction score
Thanks for info, I was convinced it was water. Went to Norfolk Marine and talked to staff and they all agreed that is sensors, I was 4th one this week. Also have had issues with motor stalling out going when shifting from idle to forward or reverse. Dropping her off tomorrow to get fixed. Hate giving up a weekend of fishing, but lots more to come! BTW, they, Norfolk Marine staff warned me to stay away from WAWA Gas, tends to have more than 10% water in fuel.

Rick 8)

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
F18amec said:
Quick vent and a question, was out with the family on Ches. Bay, got a "Water in Fuel" Warning & Buzzer. Engine only has 10 hours!(Made it back to dock no problems, other than warning) I have done my research and am fully aware of the ethanol issue with water separation etc. I added stabilzer to fuel, as of the moment I take her out every 10-14 day, weather/work permitting. I'm going to be taking her in for 10 service anyway, and I know I have to change the fuel/water separator, is this normal, about 10 hours till it needs changed? Yamaha Tech manual says every 50 hours! BTW I run 87 Octaine. Suggestions/Advice welcome
Thanks! 8)
Had the exact same issue on my '08 225 last year when it was new. It was a sensor problem and has not occurred again. It's weird but it seems to only happen during the first ten hours of operation on most members' engines. Maybe it's just condensation in the tanks on new boats from sitting around in inventory without full tanks. My boat was in my dealer's inventory for 9 months before I bought it. After I ran the first tank of gas through it the problem never reoccurred. I have almost 100 hours on it and will be changing the 10 micron filter for the first time @ that service. I run ring free and stabilizer in every tank.

Dave S

Reaction score
F18amec,

what motor do you have? My f150 Does the Surging thing wheni give it a lil gas it sometime with cut out? I bought my boat from Norfolk Marine also last year did they say they would fix your problem?

F18amec

Reaction score
Dave,
I have a f150 also, I don't have any surging, just cuts out. Always when I was going from idle/slow ahead or reverse trying to just get a little "way" on her for steering. Jason Murphy at Norfolk Marine said he's had some problems with his Grady and that there is a throttle adjustment that needs to be done. I dropped her off today to get warning, stalling and 10 hr servicing done (also a tooth broke on the winch on trailer, getting that fixed also). Will let you know exactly what they did when I pick her up.
Rick 8)

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Funny thing......our F150's on our 23 Regulator do the same damn thing, and they only have 20hrs on them......they'll cut out when going into reverse or forward sometimes.....let us know what the deal is when you find out!

F18amec

Reaction score
Okay, finally got to talk to service manager at Norfolk Marine. The "Water in Fuel" warning was the engine sensor. Apparently, when Yamaha first designed them they where too sensitive and have since re-calibrated them. As far as Engine cutting out, they adjusted the throttle cable at the engine connection. I've had her out twice since I picked her up and no stalls. There is a noticable drop in RPM's when she goes into gear but doesn't stall. I played with it going from neutral to slow ahead/reverse, idle to full throttle etc, no stalls, runs like a champ. I haven't experienced the RPM spike, so can't contribute to that issue, honestly forgot to ask.

Rick 8)