Water in gas

Throttle1971

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 232 Gulfstream. Boat has two tanks and the perko gas gaps are located on the starboard side. The gaps turn down and the rubber o ring seats to keep out water. The main tank keeps getting water in it. I replaced the gas cap and with new rubber o ring and still taking on water. I was thinking that the gas fill opening that the gap seats around might be warped. Thought please!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Could be leaking inspection plate in the floor panel letting water onto top of tank and a leaky fuel sender flange allowing water to enter tank. Your double tanks are probably arranged like mine. Inspection plate is right over the sending unit.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd say you are correct. It could be running down on the outside of the fill hose and to the tank or getting past the fill housing and into the fill hosel. Lower probability items but worth a check while there.
The inspection plates are made by Beckson Marine. You can get the seals or complete plates online if needed.

Throttle1971

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Great suggestion. Any place on the web to find detailed part list for GW boats?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If your sending unit is loose you would probably (definitely) be smelling/leaking gas...been there....
same if there were any other hole in the tank.
That leaves the fill or vent or condensation. ....or from the gas dock but then you would probably have it in both tanks?

Are they the new fangled vented caps or are there separate vents? If they are separate vents I suspect that is where the water gets in.

I have to assume you completely emptied the main tank once, replaced the o-ring, cleared all of the lines and replaced filter/water separator and put in new gas and now you have water again.
if its a vented cap, did you replace it or just the o-ring? I would replace the cap.

I would repeat the troubleshooting process.
I am certain its really hard to get to but removing the fill hose and vent hose and then spraying water to find a leak would be a next step. If the fill is bad, you have to do that anyways.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Any issues with the vent? How much water? You will get some just from the ambient air.