Water in middle

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
I keep getting water in my Bilge in the cabin under my floor in front keeps pumping out water every 15 minutes but only when I’m drifting. It about 2”of water just enough to touch float switch!! Any ideas please!!!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I keep getting water in my Bilge in the cabin under my floor in front keeps pumping out water every 15 minutes but only when I’m drifting. It about 2”of water just enough to touch float switch!! Any ideas please!!!
What does "in front keeps pumping out water". I have a feeling you're talking about the bilge pump, but it's not at all clear and I don't want to assume if there's something else you're trying to say.

It helps to include your model, as well.

However... assuming... the most likely cause is that you have a leak. And it's most likely to be happening in the aft bilge, but when you drift, the water runs forward. Find your leak.

Last edited:

bFransen

Reaction score
I have a 96 272 and aft bilge area has water . Rear bilge
I've had water in the bilge from forgetting to connect the salt water wash down and live well lines. They push water out when on plane due to the high speed pickups. If you have a crack they'll probably find it when you're moving. Sit still, nothing happens.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Generally the GW hulls are pretty dry. Not sure why "Bilge in the cabin under my floor in front keeps pumping out water every 15 minutes". You need to figure out where this water is coming from.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Water coming in - salt or fresh?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you have the white plastic through hulls, any one of them is subject to crack or break off at any time. One that is more forward would be more likely to be out of the water on plane, and underwater, at least part of the time, on the drift.

Timcan

Reaction score
Check all your exterior fittings. I had water coming in to my seafarer 228 and it was one of the fittings on the side of the boat. It was not seal properly and it was leaking. On a calm day no water and on a sporty day sure enough my bilge pump would switch on. Check all hoses clamps and fittings. If your exterior fittings are plastic check them all to see if any are cracked.

seasick

Reaction score
Regardless of what the cause is, the pump running every 15 minutes is not a good thing and indicates a leak somewhere. 2 inches of water could mean a few gallons in a narrow shallow bilge to tons of water if the whole forward bilge is open. You can get an idea of how much water by looking at the pump specs in GPH, use about 74% of that number as the pumpout rate and time how long the pumps runs.
The interesting fact you added was that the bilge doesn't fill except when drifting. I am not sure I buy that but I guess it could be. When you get on plane, water may run back towards the aft bilge. Do you see that pump run at all?
In any case, shut off all seacocks and see if the problem continues.

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
It looks it maybe coming from the nut the caulking is missing in a few spots.