Water in my bilge

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
So now that the fuel tank business is over with, its time to pay full attention to the old gal. For quite a while I was getting some water in the bilge and I always dismissed it as either rain water or that half broken flange on the fitting for the livewell drain. No big deal, I always pumped out what ever there was on the way home from the fishing grounds. Error #1

Compounding this problem was the way the boat sits in the driveway. I always thought I had the bow high enough, water would easily drain from the deck scuppers whenever it was raining out...no problem . Error #2 - Little did I realize that even with that, because of the pitch in the driveway the deep vee part of the hull in the bow area really was never much higher than the bilge drain in the stern. So a little water would always be in the bilge under the cabin area.
While sea trialing her after the fuel tank replacement we decided to do a little fishing. Also decided we weren't going to use the livewell and do a check on the bilge after the trip. Wouldn't you know it, we got about a gallon of water out of her. That was a disappointment, so we decided to investigate a little further.
Well apparently the thru hull fittings of the 90's aren't the thru hull fittings of today. This particular elbow had 1" female threads and a flanged insert which is what you see when you look into the livewell. Well with the broken flange and no seal underneath (unlike the ones today that use a nut on the back) any water than came up the thru-hull when floating or at anchor or water in the livewell would slowly leak into the bilge. So yesterday I was lucky to be able to unscrew the broken piece and run down to the marina and buy something I can use. Replacing the entire fitting was another option but that will have to wait. Access to it thru the access plate is a real PITA.
Looks like I will be able to just cut the barb off this one and use it, but I did notice that where I am cutting it I will lose the dog ears on the inside where it is meant to be grabbed by a tool to be tightened.

20191029_113610.jpg20191028_170139.jpg

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
always something... glad you figured it out.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
As I suspected, a little modification was in order. After cutting the barb off the fitting I needed, I drilled a small hole across the threads, cut and polished an aluminium gutter nail, and epoxied it in as a cross pin so I can use the tool I made to install it tight.

Attachments

• 20191029_120704.jpg
    20191029_120704.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20191029_120716.jpg
    20191029_120716.jpg
    725.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20191029_120856.jpg
    20191029_120856.jpg
    938.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20191029_120957.jpg
    20191029_120957.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 41

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Very nice work and ingenuity on the installation tool. Next time I have a problem to solve, I know who to ask now.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Hate to be a downer but that fitting will not be flush with the deck. You will have 1/4" of water sitting at the fitting.

I had the same issue on my old Wellcraft. I never could find an exact replacement for that grey 1" drain fitting. You'd think it'd be easy since every boat & RV built in the 70s & 80s had them.

I used a white nylon fitting and cut a channel in the "mushroom" so the water would drain flush with the deck.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hate to be a downer but that fitting will not be flush with the deck. You will have 1/4" of water sitting at the fitting.

I had the same issue on my old Wellcraft. I never could find an exact replacement for that grey 1" drain fitting. You'd think it'd be easy since every boat & RV built in the 70s & 80s had them.

I used a white nylon fitting and cut a channel in the "mushroom" so the water would drain flush with the deck.

Well I havent put the piece in yet but I know exactly what you mean, it is one of my concerns.
The only saving grace is that the mushroom top is a tad smaller than the recess in the livewell for the original fitting. That might help a little.
Ive seen other fittings online that were a bit pricier like the Marelon Flushhead fittings from Forespar and their utility drain but I think the flange is a bit larger than the recess on the flushhead type. Be nice if I had them in hand to compare. But after a few searches I came across these from TH Marine - I may have to modify the modification. :)

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 6

HMBJack

Reaction score
After every use of your livewell, you should clean and dry it out anyway. I use an "Absorber" shammy for this. It always gets my livewell dry for the next trip.

I like your ingenuity on the install!