Water in my Gas Tank. From the fuel vent?

eeadams2

Reaction score
I am getting water in my reserve gas tank which is causing the water seperator to get 2/3 water after 1 month of instalation, aprx 10 hours of running time. The tanks had been recently emptied so there should be no water in them. The vent hose from the reserve tank gets clogged with salt water from the spray while driving. I have to blow it out from the tank. This leads me to believe that the water is coming in from the vent hose. The hose does not have a 6-8" loop and vent oriented up as it should be. This vent configuation is the same for both the main and reserve tanks. It does not appear to be an issues with the main. The vent fitting has a plastic fitting the same diam as the hose extending 2" upward from where the hose connects to the fitting. My assumption is that the fitting is designed to prevent water from coming in vice having the normal loop. Please confirm this?? There is only aprx 6 " above where the vent comes through the hull. This might be why that fitting was installed vice a loop.

Is this confirguration/vent standard to have this fitting installed vice the loop method? Has this type of vent failed before? Is it possible the vent is failing? Should I repace the vent and install new hose with a loop? Installing new hose and vent is least preferred due to the space restictions above the vent and the difficulty in replacing the hose through the bilge and foam. Your asssitance in this matter is sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you might also check the o-rings on the fuel caps , they crack and leak

seasick

Reaction score
eeadams2 said:
I am getting water in my reserve gas tank which is causing the water seperator to get 2/3 water after 1 month of instalation, aprx 10 hours of running time. The tanks had been recently emptied so there should be no water in them. The vent hose from the reserve tank gets clogged with salt water from the spray while driving. I have to blow it out from the tank. This leads me to believe that the water is coming in from the vent hose. The hose does not have a 6-8" loop and vent oriented up as it should be. This vent configuation is the same for both the main and reserve tanks. It does not appear to be an issues with the main. The vent fitting has a plastic fitting the same diam as the hose extending 2" upward from where the hose connects to the fitting. My assumption is that the fitting is designed to prevent water from coming in vice having the normal loop. Please confirm this?? There is only aprx 6 " above where the vent comes through the hull. This might be why that fitting was installed vice a loop.

Is this confirguration/vent standard to have this fitting installed vice the loop method? Has this type of vent failed before? Is it possible the vent is failing? Should I repace the vent and install new hose with a loop? Installing new hose and vent is least preferred due to the space restictions above the vent and the difficulty in replacing the hose through the bilge and foam. Your asssitance in this matter is sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Agree on checking o-rings.
If you have to blow out water in the vent loop, you are most certainly getting water in the tank.
How did you blow out the water?
How were that tanks emptied? If you just ran them till empty, they still had fluids on the bottom. Unless the tank was pumped out through an access port ( like the sender mount), you would not have gotten all of whatever was in there out.
Finally, the vent loop should ideally face down ( top of loop is highest) but this is often not possible to do since there usually are restrictions on where you can route the hose. There should be at least some downward slope towards the vent so that spray in the vent will try to run out and not into the tank or form a water block.

eeadams2

Reaction score
Rgr on the o Rings. Thanks. Got new ones yesterday. The Tanks were emptied by pumping out the sender unit. I just pumped another 1 gal gas out from each tank. No more water.

I blew the vent hose out from the tank.

Most vents i found have the 90 degr angle barb facing the same direction as the vents. That will not work. I found one below link that you can have the vents facing down/back at a 45 degr angle and then the barb facing up. Adding a loop and I should be good. I think I can put a 6 inch loop in it but might be restricted by space. Any other suggestions. Thanks for the help.

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Fuel-Tank ... 58664.html

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
My assumption is that the fitting is designed to prevent water from coming in vice having the normal loop. Please confirm this??

You are correct. The external vent clamshell should also be oriented down, or slightly aft. The vent valve should prevent passage of any water, but it has to have a place to drain back out ... :wink:

drmwvr

Reaction score
eeadams2 said:

How old is your tank(s)? If they are older than 20 years, you may have corrosion on the top of them causing water to enter the tanks. I just replaced my tank on my '89 Tounament and the top of tank was corroded through under the horizontal support brackets. According to my tank guy, this is fairly common on older GWs (the corrosion).

Good luck!

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same trouble in my prior boat until I replaced the vent connection with the one shown at this site

http://www.marinesupplystore.com/store/ ... 386533-cj/

Here's the description:
90 P-Trap Fuel Tank Vent Fuel Tank Vent, 90, Black Plastic This low profile fuel tank vent helps prevent water from entering the fuel tank during normal sea conditions and washdowns. The innovative, patented design features a series of baffles that prevent water from splashing into the tank, yet allow air to vent freely. Depending on vent location, this vent can eliminate the need for an anti-siphon loop in the vent hose, allowing more direct hose routing to the fuel tank, and shorter hose length. Meets ABYC Standard H-24 Installation hole size: 3/4 diameter Requires 1- 1/2 height clearance for anti-siphon feature, and 2 depth clearance

Might be something to check out

eeadams2

Reaction score
Thanks for link. The vent I removed was an earlier model of the same type fitting. I am assuming the new one will work better than the old one. Was the vent you removed from your boat a similar model without a syphin loop? I will concider installing this vent but I am hesitant as it is a similar style to the one I removed and was not working to keep the water out.

This link is the vent I am thinking of installing with a syphin loop. This vent allows you to orient the elbow up and then I should be able to put 5 inch loop in the 1991 24 Offshore model. I don't like the Chrome/Brass but most SS models have the elbow facing the same way as the vent and would not work.

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Fuel-Tank ... 58664.html

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.