water in the bilge?

fishone

Reaction score
hello everyone, I just put my 22 seafarer in her slip on sunday, bilge was bone dry. It has been raining for days and today I went down to the boat to check some things out and noticed water in my bilge, also in the forward bilge? not much in the forward but its usually dry. theres abour 2 - 3 inches in the aft. and the pump is working. my floor panel is not caulked as of now because i m planning on doing it on Friday afternoon. I cant imagine that so much rain water could have entered the boat and into the bilge. does anybody have any similar experiance like this or suggestions? Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
It could very well be that the water is from the lack of caulking. I'd get it sealed and then inspect via the inspection ports next rain.

striped bass

Reaction score
Fishone:
After a hard rain water in the bildge is almost automatic (on any boat). My T 225 bildge was dry as a bone but after a hard rain last week I had water in the bildge even though I have styrofoam cups in the cup holders to keep water from draining into the bildge. (Forward and aft cup holders on T225s drain into the bildge). Also water enters in the hatch cover over the anchor locker and through the aft hatch covers on earlier T225s. You may have other types of possible water entry specific to a Seafarer 22. Fishtales is right on the money with the advice to caulk all seams. An easy check each season before launching the boat is to hose down the cockpit before the garboard plug is screwed in. If water exits the aft garboard outlet then the seams obviouly need caulking. Also the inspection pie plates are a source of water entry. Unscrew the pie plates and lightly coat the rim threads with vaseline and screw back in. Do this before re-launching each season and you will inhibit water entry through the inspection plates. Check the cockpit scupper drain hoses because the drain hoses do wear out over time. This is important for GWs that have drain hoses that exit the hull below the water line.

bfrank

Reaction score
How did this turn out after you caulked the seems?

freddy063

Reaction score
Believe it or not I found that allot of rain water gets in from the top rub rail, there are a lot of screws that somehow allows the water to seep into the bilge. I’m not sure how to stop it. I tried removing the center round piece and tightening all the screws but they losses up quickly.

fishone

Reaction score
I went down to the boat today on my lunch break. same amount of water in the bilge.( if there is a leak the pump may have been keeping up with it? ) I stood on the transom and within a minute or so the bige pump came on and off three times, (recovering) Im gonna take the boat out for a short ride tomorrow and run the boat under load ( bow up ) until the bilge pump stops discharging water and them keep an eye on it. I have not caulked up the seems yet because I may have to get in there again. My other option is to haul the boat out with my trailer and pull the drain plug until its empty then put it back in? and yes, the rub rails do leak a little bit. I have noticed some staining on the inside gunnels which clean up easily.

ioffe

Reaction score
Yesterday I too noticed a bit of water in the forward bilge as well (less than 1", not enough to be picked up by the pump). Sure hope it's rain water and condensation.

fishone

Reaction score
I took my boat out today for a run, just like I said i ran the boat under a load with the bow up ( people must of thought I was nuts lol ) for a few minutes. Bilge was pumping out like crazy until empty. It was fresh water as far as I can tell and it was somewhat of a relief. I checked the forward bilge after and it was empty and also the aft bilge was as dry as to be expected. I will check it again on Monday and see if there is any more water. I am thinking that it was all rain water and maybe a small bit of condensation.