water in the livewell with seacock closed

keith1313

Reaction score
Noticed yesterday that my livewell was half full of water after running in the ocean with the seacock was closed. Is the water running into the livewell from the thru-hull fitting???? Anybody else experiencing the same???? :?:

Sean O'Grady

Reaction score
Can't imagine that happening unless some poured water in the livewell with the seacock closed. Is the water in the well sweet or salt?

lgusto

Reaction score
I will sometimes get water in my livewell with the seacock closed. I think I've read somewhere in the Grady literature that backing or following seas could pull water in through the o/b drain. I don't think I've ever had it half full though.

lgusto

Reaction score
nevermind, just found this again in my manual. my guess is your seacock was open.

N O T I C E
If the livewell seacock is left open and the pump is not on, the boats forward motion through the water will gradually fill the box. To prevent this inadvertent filling, close the seacock when the livewell is not in use.

N O T I C E
Under certain conditions, placing the outboard engine(s) in reverse will ventilate the water under the boat and create an air lock in the livewell pump. To prevent this situation from occurring, it is recommended the livewell be turned off prior to any high RPM or continuous reverse operation. If the livewell pump becomes air-locked, correct this situation by turning the pump off for 20 seconds.

keith1313

Reaction score
water in livewell

Thank you all for your input..............I need to make sure the seacock valve was closed. As usual quick response which is what makes you guys so great. :wink: :)

keith1313

Reaction score
A little embarassing after being in boating for thirty years.........BUT..........THE SEACOCK WAS OPEN CAUSING THE BUILDUP OF WATER IN MY LIVEWELL. THANKS TO THOSE WHO TOOK THE TIME TO RESPOND TO MY FALSE ALARM. HAPPY BOATING.

KEITHY :oops: :oops: :oops: