Water is midship and aft bilge after washing

Rex A

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I know this has been a frequently discussed topic. All the boats I have owned in my life have had some amount of water present after rain/wash down but this 236 fisherman however seems to be a bit more susceptible. I tried to track it down the best I could and it seems that bilge access plate (the one that screws in and is not sealed) in the stern and the rear deck plates are the culprit but who knows. As others have stated, most of it accumulates midship as my lift is only slightly bow up. Simply washing the boat will put a gallon or so in there. Seem normal?? Love the boat though and I'm really not sweating it, was just curious more than anything.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A screw-in deck plate should be sealed - it should have an o-ring.

I don't know your boat very well, but take a look at under gunwale storage... rod holder storage "holes" under the gunwale and on top... any of those places could possibly allow water into the bilge. Again, without being there looking at your boat it's hard to say exactly what... but you get the idea.

seasick

Reaction score
It seems like many Gradys accumulate water in the mid bilge.Mine do.
Often you have to raise the bow significantly to get that water to drain aft. In fact on my 208, the only time I get the water to drain aft is on the steep launch ramp.
Even when winter stored, it is impossible to tilt up the bow steep enough to drain the mid bilge ( because the skeg of the motor hits the ground).

It is surprising how much water sits in the mid bilge but it's been like that since birth.
If you get a lot of water eventually some of it will flow aft but a decent amount will remain.
If you on the other hand find that the aft bilge is pumping more than normal you probably have an issue to deal with.

Note that a wet anchor line can hold a lot of water. If your anchor locker drains into the mid bilge ( my 208 does) just the act of hauling and stowing the anchor line will add to the mid bilge water.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Its not just Gradys. All deep vee hulls naturally rest in the water with the fwd keel lower than the garboard drain.
If you only have an aft automatic bilge pump, the water will fill the bilge to the level of that pump. When you go on plane it pumps it all out.
Most V hulls over 20 ft have an added fwd bilge pump.

One thing to look for is a blocked or partially blocked pvc passage from fwd to aft bilge. Old boats can have a lot of loose crap floating back & forth blocking or slowing down the drainage aft.

I see a lots of "driveway dreams", bow low in driveways under a tree, slowing rotting the stringers. Owner dreaming for years of someday fixing up that boat...
For godsake, crank up the bow!

Reactions: Halfhitch

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Surveyor told me that most boats sink in the driveway now days. As SkunkBoat says - get the bow up high and leave the drain plug out.

I own a self storage business and allow customers to store boats. I have had several that left drain plugs in, batteries went dead and they filled up with water. Others left uncovered or covers damaged had weeds clog the limber holes and fill the boat up.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I know this has been a frequently discussed topic. All the boats I have owned in my life have had some amount of water present after rain/wash down but this 236 fisherman however seems to be a bit more susceptible. I tried to track it down the best I could and it seems that bilge access plate (the one that screws in and is not sealed) in the stern and the rear deck plates are the culprit but who knows. As others have stated, most of it accumulates midship as my lift is only slightly bow up. Simply washing the boat will put a gallon or so in there. Seem normal?? Love the boat though and I'm really not sweating it, was just curious more than anything.
I don't have a 236, pinged a buddy who does, I'll report back (or he can, he's on here, I think his handle is Rocketguy).

On my 228, the only places that drain to the bilge are the under gunnel rod holders (super unlikely to be your problem) and the rear cup holders.

My access plates are round, press fit in, and have o-rings. I'd check yours to see if it is missing a ring. But even so, a gallon seems like a lot. I'd be tracking this down.

Edit: my buddy with the 236 got back to me, he has the same thing, he has yet to figure out where it is getting in. But a gallon sounds similar to what he gets. It's weird, my 228 does not do that...

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I don't have a 236, pinged a buddy who does, I'll report back (or he can, he's on here, I think his handle is Rocketguy).

On my 228, the only places that drain to the bilge are the under gunnel rod holders (super unlikely to be your problem) and the rear cup holders.

My access plates are round, press fit in, and have o-rings. I'd check yours to see if it is missing a ring. But even so, a gallon seems like a lot. I'd be tracking this down.
Does your anchor locker drain to the exterior of the hull via a clamshell?

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Yes, I have water that pools in my bilge as well. The only place that I know of that drains to the bilge is the anchor locker, but I have water in my hull even when I don't wash inside the anchor locker.

I always take the drain plug out after each trip. I also unscrew the back bilge deck access (the one just in front of the motor between the swim platform storage areas) to let any residual moisture evaporate. I have never quantified how much water comes out, but I raise the trailer tongue up high enough to get gravity to do the work. When stored, the drain plug always goes into one of the two finger grooves in that back bilge deck access plate. Never do I leave the plug screwed into boat!!

My question is where does the water get into the hull? Everything should drain overboard (as Grady says)! I once had to wait out a major major major thunderstorm at the boat ramp prior to launching (i think this was summer 2021, can't remember), but I had to let water pour out the back drain plug hole for about 10 to 15 min before I put the plug in and launched.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Water sits in the mid section of the boat as well on the Marlin. There is a lot of ways water can get in.
You can check:
- Deckplates. All have O-rings. I like the screw in Beckson vs the pop ins,
- Hardtop mounting points. The stress of the banging somtimes loosens the screws or the seals.
- Windows. Over time water can get behind the frame or glass.
- Plumbing. I've had a small leak that wasn't big enough for the water pressure pump to cycle all that often.
- Anchor/Rode. This drains into the blige. Any water on the line or if it rains hard and gets in the windlass. If you wash the rode to keep it pliable, you'll get some water in the bilge.
- Rub Rail. Possible underway to take a wave that might force water into the deckline/hull joint.
- Thru hulls and associated lines. Check age of hoses, tightness of clams (should all be dual) and seals of thru holes.
- Some areas drain direct into bildge (head floor comes to mind). If you wash out these areas you'll get some water in the bilge.

Reactions: Sdfish

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Spraying a hose on hatches from a side angle will get water in them

also "pop-up" cleats will take in water, especially when you are hosing down the boat

Rod grommets in gunnels.

A disconnected speedometer tubing (learned that one on a past boat)

Windsheild Washer hose disconnected and someone turned the "whats this?" knob (learned that one on my 265 Express)

Deckplates are not very good. Not just the o-ring but the rim and screws.

Rex A

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I think I found at least where the majority of the water was coming from. In front of the vertical bilge access door is a screw in floor access panel that can be removed for additional access to the bilge area. It comes from the factory not sealed as it makes it easier to remove. I went ahead and sealed it (just silicone, GE Almond that Grady uses so it is still easily removable) and that seems to have definitely helped a bit. I guess the true test will be the next heavy rain. I also thought possibly water may be sneaking in under the rub rail but I would hope not on a Grady although I have seen that happen on other boats. All the cleats and cupholders are plumbed and drain overboard or onto the deck and I could find no issues with the plumbing. Anchor locker definitely lets in a little water as well which is to be expected. Will update later.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Rubrail... with the way a boat is put together it is highly unlikely that even an unsealed deck to hull joint would leak water from rain. From splashing, yes, but not from water coming down from the sky. Even through the screws would be unlikely to let in any more than a minute trace of water.

An unsealed floor hatch letting water into the bilge? Um, yeah, that would do it! ;) But... how did you not pick up on that earlier? :) :)

Controlled use of a hose is your friend to finding leaks.

Rex A

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Rubrail... with the way a boat is put together it is highly unlikely that even an unsealed deck to hull joint would leak water from rain. From splashing, yes, but not from water coming down from the sky. Even through the screws would be unlikely to let in any more than a minute trace of water.

An unsealed floor hatch letting water into the bilge? Um, yeah, that would do it! ;) But... how did you not pick up on that earlier? :) :)

Controlled use of a hose is your friend to finding leaks.
I actually did, but with the lip between the hatch lid and the floor being as high as it is, I just figured there was no way it could be letting in that much water. Shows how much I know! With the water pooling down in the stern of the boat while washing, it makes perfect sense. what doesn't go out the scuppers, there you go. Just wasn't paying attention I guess.