Water leak in storage box

white diamond

Reaction score
1992 24' Explorer has rain water leaking into the storage box under the helm chair. This has just started this year. It has a hard top and I store the boat with all the curtains on, so there is a limited way the rain could be getting into the box. Has anyone had this problem and found the source of the leak?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Best course of action is to remove the tackle boxes and have someone use a hose in suspect areas until you see water dripping in. That box is completely inside the curtains, right? What ways do you anticipate that water could get in?

white diamond

Reaction score
Best course of action is to remove the tackle boxes and have someone use a hose in suspect areas until you see water dripping in. That box is completely inside the curtains, right? What ways do you anticipate that water could get in?
There are no tackle boxes. It is a storage box with a fabric liner. It is completely inside the curtains. I was checking to see if anyone had dealt with this leak before I pull out the fabric to investigate further.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
My boat is similar to yours, but I only have a large fishbox that extends to under the chair - as opposed to a separate area for storage. I took the time to look at an old brochure to get a better idea of the area since there wasn't a picture here - it was the brochure that mentioned tackle boxes.

Does the carpet get wet from the top down? You can figure that out easy enough, but using a hose is still a good idea to figure this out for sure. You don't have to pull the carpet for that.

EDIT: Oh, just a quick add... most of these walk around style boats are built pretty much the same. So if you get recommendations from others that have different (but similar style) boats, don't discount their help. Actually, you could very well get good advice from someone that doesn't have a similar style at all. Many on here are very familiar with boats, in general, and can still offer good advice even if they don't have a similar boat.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
Do you hose off the deck and seats? That could explain water in the box if the box door leaks or the seat pedestals leak.

white diamond

Reaction score
Do you hose off the deck and seats? That could explain water in the box if the box door leaks or the seat pedestals leak.
I have made sure not to spray water on the door or seat pedestals. There is always more water in the back of the box (opposite from the door). The amount of water in the box depends on how much it has rained since last I used the boat. The boat is 2.5 hours away so I will check again next time I am down.