Water Leak Problem

pablor

Reaction score
Guys

I really need help on this one. On my 2006 360 express i am having a huge issue with water coming into the cabin and hull from the anchor line locker compartment and I am not sure how to fix it.

To explain, i think there is a manufacturing defect on my boat. I removed all of the anchor line from the locker and stuck a flashlight in there and the drain hole is very small and rough (about 1 inch round). If i stick a hose in there, the water levels go up quickly as there isnt enough flow to get the water out quick of the locker. The worst part is that some water is not going into the drain pipe, but going around it and flooding the bow thruster bilge area, causing electrical problems and quite a bit of damage to the bow thruster. I have used "Great Stuff" to seal around the 2" pipe in the bow thruster area but now water comes in higher.

Why is this important? every time we go in very rough seas and water comes into the locker due to waves, it ruins my bow thruster. I am trying to think of a seal to avoid water coming into the locker all together also, to avoid the water issue.

I have called and emailed Grady with no success at this point.

I hope i have described the problem correctly and any help is appreciated.

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
Grady should be responsible for this apparent engineering flaw. Particularly, for replacing your Bow Thruster and other possible damage. In the meantime, is it possible to close off the internal weep hole to the bilge and drill a hole through the hull at the bottom of the anchor locker. This is the way most builders accomadate exit of water through the side of the anchor locker. A SS thru hull can dress the hole, if esthetics is an issue. Also, there was a similar post to this a few months ago, you may want to contact that person if it was not you.

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
There are a few posts on this problem. You guys may want to complain to Grady collectively. Put anchor 360 in search, to find others that are experiencing the same problem

pablor

Reaction score
Jeff Mauro said:
Grady should be responsible for this apparent engineering flaw. Particularly, for replacing your Bow Thruster and other possible damage. In the meantime, is it possible to close off the internal weep hole to the bilge and drill a hole through the hull at the bottom of the anchor locker. This is the way most builders accomadate exit of water through the side of the anchor locker. A SS thru hull can dress the hole, if esthetics is an issue. Also, there was a similar post to this a few months ago, you may want to contact that person if it was not you.

Grady is now very responsive on this issue. The engineering departmetn callled me directly and we talked at length about the problem. they will be doing an inspection to see if there is any manufacturing defect and regardless they will help me solve the problem. it sounds lilke there is more of a manufacturing issue with my boat rather than a design issue. The weep hole is too small and it gets clogged up too easily and the 5200 they are supposed to add to the drain pipe is missing. Grady is definetely class act!

He does not want me to add a thru hull opening as he believes that it is too close to the water line and will take water in too easily.

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
Grady has always been good to me. I am happy that they are being good to you. Have a great boating season.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Glad to hear GW is on your issue. They have the BEST CS in this industry. I'm not sure why it took awhile but perhaps the email person was behind. You can always call direct. Ask for Jeff Brown or Eddie Rowe. They have taken care of me long after my warranty expired.

pablor

Reaction score
Eddie and Dan travelled to Wanchese today and discovered a manufacturing problem. They will be back next week with a new bow thruster and all of their tools to fix the issue. The anchor locker did not get enough glass around the drain tube and most of the water ends up in the foam in the hull. They were very concerned and they will fix ASAP. Yay! Go Grady!

bfrank

Reaction score
WOW! That is awesome. Maybe you could snap some pics before / after so we could see what you're describing and how they are fixing it.

pablor

Reaction score
My boat is back in the water and just went out in 4-6 ft seas with 4-5 sec periods. we got the snot beat out of us for sure. Everyone except the 13 year old was sick on the boat! The fix worked perfectly and water drains into the right drain pipe correctly and my bow thruster was dry as a bone!

On the other hand, i sitll had water in the cabin coming from the top side of the v-berth. Upon further inspection of the windlass locker, there is a gap between the locker and the liner and water can get in the boat in heavy seas. you can stick your hand in there and touch electrical wires (navigation lights). it is a little disappointing to see these quality issues. I think i can fix it with Great Stuff as the gap is about 1 inch wide.