Water leaking into cabin - i think is fixed!

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I was getting water in the cabin from the helm area and also noticed I had some water (about two cups after a heavy rain and leaving uncovered which I dont do often) - enough to cause water damage eventually and some mold, and was likely what was helping the partition between cabin and helm deteriorate (that is for next year)

I think water came from two spots:

The glovebox did not seal well and while any water that gets in should drain under the instrument panel and drain, in my boat the bottom of the box (hard to see but can feel with your fingers if try grab bottom of box) felt like it had no bottom and I felt some voids. I taped off and opened instrument panel as that is where the water should drain to - used some tape and poured about 3 ounces of resin to make sure water drained from box well into the instrument panel box (catching excess resin with a rag).

The other place i think water was coming from was the bottom rightcorner of the instrument box/panel - water would puddle a tiny bit in the corner and if not sealed well, weeped into instrument box. I used some new gaskets and sealed the instrument panel down well after I put it all back together.

The main issue is the instrument box should drain through a small white hose under the dash, however there is a hole cut on the front wall of the instrument box to let all the wires in (this wall is on a slant) and seems the water was running from the corner of the instrument panel where it puddled up and leaking into instrument box but likely hitting the entry/exit point and those wires, making it way down into the wall. If you take the access box off in the cabin under the helm, that same entry/exit for wires falls almost directly on topof the cabin wall, given some odd angles, water would either run down the wires (water in access plate by captains feet), or work it way into the cabin by dripping out of wire hole and behind the access box. The bottom of my access box was rotted and I had to swap out new piece of wood). I used a small piece of an old pool float and glued around hole woth 4200 to ensure any water goes into the void where the wires run so at minimum cabin should be dry).

Hope this helps someone!

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you could add some pics it would be helpful.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I will take a few and have to add some another time when I open up the instrument panel or access panel in cabin. Forgot to take pictures when I did it.
One of those things once you open it up will make more sense.