Water left in the bilge in winter

timberxx

Reaction score
on my last boat i would shop vac the bilge, once back on the trailer, after each use in the winter. is this required for a 2004 205 tournament?

Stonewall

Reaction score
The goal would be to remove as much water as possible. However with water and freezing, expansion is the enemy. Think of your bilge as a giant ice cube tray. There is plenty room for expansion. An inch or two of water is not going to do any damage.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Take out the bilge drain plug, tilt up the trailer, that's it.

If the boat has a FW tank, has to be treated incl lines.

richie rich

Reaction score
in addition to what's already mentioned, I like pouring some winterizer into the the farthest point forward on the boat and letting it find its way with the rest of the bilge water all the way back....this way (hopefully) any pockets of water within the bilge surrounding pumps and drains etc will be kept from freezing...costs me $3 and 2 minutes of my time.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the guys laid it out for you. just make sure the engine is in the down position. ron

timberxx

Reaction score
richie rich said:
in addition to what's already mentioned, I like pouring some winterizer into the the farthest point forward on the boat and letting it find its way with the rest of the bilge water all the way back....this way (hopefully) any pockets of water within the bilge surrounding pumps and drains etc will be kept from freezing...costs me $3 and 2 minutes of my time.

Where in the bow would you pour this material in? the anchor locker?

richie rich

Reaction score
I can access the locker from the inside and pour through there without getting it all over the anchor line, but you can also remove the cushions and access covers in the bow area.....you can see right down inside from both sides.