water proof covers VS shrink wrap

Vince

Reaction score
I have a 2001 268 Islander and I am considering buying a cover for it VS shrink wrap. The shrink wrap up here in N. E. is getting $$$ out of hand, and the waste is extreme to me. What are you guys using that can handle snow? And whats your opinions on a cover VS shrink wrap?

Thank you,
Vin Karppinen

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Handling snow is more about the structure/tenting that you create than the actual material.

FYI... I've reused shrink wrap up to three years.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am shrink-wrapped this year but agree it is a huge amount of waste and recurring cost.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I got a carver cover last year for my 270. would have been a great fit but the radar pulls it up a bit on the sides

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have found the shrink wrap is expensive and wasteful ibut s very effective at protecting the boat in the extreme weather that we experience on the shore in New England - I seem many boats with tarps torn to shreds after a large noreaster. Some of that may be due to install errors. I have never seen a shrink my wrap come off.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Agreed it's a waste and a quality winter cover is the gift that keeps on giving. What about weight, though?

I'd hate to get a winter cover I need to have it forklifted onto my boat. How heavy is a winter cover for a larger, say... 30' plus boat?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Fixit, you can marks on the cover where the radar is and then have a local upholsterer sew in a pocket.

Automated... when you get to larger covers, they are usually made in 2 or more pieces that zipper together. Especially if it's the style that covers down to the chine.

Custom Winter covers are fantastic (Fisher or someone local, for example) - but they are definitely an investment.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I seem many boats with tarps torn to shreds after a large noreaster. Some of that may be due to install errors.
My dad has always used large tarps (i think a handed down pool cover) in southeast MA (40+ years). As Dennis mentioned, we have a wooden support structure which helps shed the rain and snow over the side of the boat. Maybe 30 or so bungees to the trailer. Shrink wrap would be more effective, and a bit cleaner I’m sure, but we just power wash beginning and end of season. Never any issues with the tarps, and the rig is a cheap option that works well enough.

Reactions: Legend

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have found the shrink wrap is expensive and wasteful ibut s very effective at protecting the boat in the extreme weather that we experience on the shore in New England - I seem many boats with tarps torn to shreds after a large noreaster. Some of that may be due to install errors. I have never seen a shrink my wrap come off.
Tightness is the key. Anything loose will flap and wear/tear. Especially in high wind areas like you're referencing.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have had good success with carver covers both on my current boat and previous grady. Was turned onto them by another member years ago. Its not a perfect fit with the high hardtop, and wide beam on the Gradys. So there is a small gap on the sides midship, however it also allows ventilation. I made a frame for support over the bow, and reuse it every season. As far as weight goes, its keep it in a Rubbermaid bin which is movable by myself, however putting it on is definitely a 2 man job.

seasick

Reaction score
Tightness is the key. Anything loose will flap and wear/tear. Especially in high wind areas like you're referencing.
Wind is a big issue but also snow and ice. If snow piles up, it may slowly melt, pool in low area, and then refreeze. Eventually that blob of ice gets bigger and heavier until either the frame or supports break or the cover rips.
Shrink wrap is a love hate thing. If you go that route, make sure you have vents added to enable air circulation. You can also get a zipper door which can be handy if you want to enter the boat.
Be aware that painted hulls can suffer damage to the paint from the perimeter strapping used on the bottom edge of the wrap. In cases like that, the wrap should be extended to an area below the paint if possible.

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Wind is a big issue but also snow and ice. If snow piles up, it may slowly melt, pool in low area, and then refreeze. Eventually that blob of ice gets bigger and heavier until either the frame or supports break or the cover rips.
Shrink wrap is a love hate thing. If you go that route, make sure you have vents added to enable air circulation. You can also get a zipper door which can be handy if you want to enter the boat.
Be aware that painted hulls can suffer damage to the paint from the perimeter strapping used on the bottom edge of the wrap. In cases like that, the wrap should be extended to an area below the paint if possible.
Agree 100% (see post #2) :)

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My dad has always used large tarps (i think a handed down pool cover) in southeast MA (40+ years). As Dennis mentioned, we have a wooden support structure which helps shed the rain and snow over the side of the boat. Maybe 30 or so bungees to the trailer. Shrink wrap would be more effective, and a bit cleaner I’m sure, but we just power wash beginning and end of season. Never any issues with the tarps, and the rig is a cheap option that works well enough.
Heay duty sound and good structure sound like the key.

Peterb21

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2001 268 Islander and I am considering buying a cover for it VS shrink wrap. The shrink wrap up here in N. E. is getting $$$ out of hand, and the waste is extreme to me. What are you guys using that can handle snow? And whats your opinions on a cover VS shrink wrap?

Thank you,
Vin Karppinen
I have a 2003 Sailfish 282. My buddy has a 2005 Gulfstream 23. We build out own frames with strapping and buy large tarps at Ocean State Job Lot for $99. We get 2-3 seasons out of them, and then toss them away and buy another one. I own all the equipment and materials to do my own shrink wrap, but it just doesn't make sense any more. I'd rather spend the money on some new fishing gear each year!

The one caveat is that we have a large flat area to store the boats that are in the back yard so we can always check on them after a good rain or snow storm.

Reactions: PointedRose

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Has someone here tried to use the same/similar plastic what is used to cover hay rolls?
Material looks the same and afaik it's shrink wrapped too, but maybe too thin.

Chris

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Has someone here tried to use the same/similar plastic what is used to cover hay rolls?
Material looks the same and afaik it's shrink wrapped too, but maybe too thin.

Chris
I do a lot of shrink wrapping... I don't think I'd test my skills at trying to shrink wrap hay - the gun I use puts about 250,000 BTU's... I'm pretty sure I'd catch that big roll of hay on fire rather quickly :) Meaning, I think they use thinner, stretchier plastic and roll it tightely around.

Plus, I highly doubt the hay stuff comes in the sizes you'd want for a boat. If they used the sizes we use, there'd be too much waste and inefficency.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Maybe I was wrong with shrink wrapping the hay rolls.
I went to see a boat what was shrink-wrapped and the shipyard had this Damp-Rid boxes inside what was not good solution too. When I was a kid and started sailing the moored boats in Switzerland had a full Stamoid cover, but a few air inlets to avoid humidity below the cover. Unfortunately that will not work on my farm as I have too frequently too strong winds and shrink-wrapping may work, but a cover cost here about 500$
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-23 um 17.20.30.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I went to see a boat what was shrink-wrapped and the shipyard had this Damp-Rid boxes inside what was not good solution too. When I was a kid and started sailing the moored boats in Switzerland had a full Stamoid cover, but a few air inlets to avoid humidity below the cover. Unfortunately that will not work on my farm as I have too frequently too strong winds and shrink-wrapping may work, but a cover cost here about 500$
When we shrink a boat, we use hanging anti-moisture packets with a drip-collecting "cup". We also add vents to the cover. We've been doing it this way for decades and it works very well.

While the anti-moisture packets can only help, the most important thing is air circulation - the vents - and not being being stingy with them :)

A full, custom, winter cover here in the US, depending on size, is whole heck of a lot more than $500 :) For example, my brother's cover for his 29' Chaparral (this was about 4 years ago, now) was $5K. That included a custom frame and the cover was fit all the way to the chine. It fits perfectly and is super tight. THAT one would be (is) fine even in the wind. Tightness is the key.

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
When we shrink a boat, we use hanging anti-moisture packets with a drip-collecting "cup". We also add vents to the cover. We've been doing it this way for decades and it works very well.

While the anti-moisture packets can only help, the most important thing is air circulation - the vents - and not being being stingy with them :)

A full, custom, winter cover here in the US, depending on size, is whole heck of a lot more than $500 :) For example, my brother's cover for his 29' Chaparral (this was about 4 years ago, now) was $5K. That included a custom frame and the cover was fit all the way to the chine. It fits perfectly and is super tight. THAT one would be (is) fine even in the wind. Tightness is the key.

500$ is the cost for a shrink-wrap film per boat, not a full cover in tarp or similar.
Thats why I was looking for alternative sources to shrink wrap boats.
I think I will leave the boat 11,5 month wet slipped as I can use it also in winter time here,
so with a new GRP boat shrink wrapping would be obsolete for me.

Chris