Water Pump and Ear Muffs

gradynorm

Reaction score
Have a 33 express with twin F250's. Replaced both water pumps and installed the lower units today. The starboard engine started on the ear muffs and was pumping a good stream of water (though one time when I tried it again it wasn't pumping)

The port engine would never pump water. Ran water through the flush kit and a nice stream came out. Dropped the leg again and the impeller was fine and locked to the key on the shaft. All o-rings in place. Tubes lined up when I reinstalled.

Not sure how good and stable on ear muffs but I did get the starboard to pee water. Any ideas or things to try? Assume it is either the ear muffs or I a missing something stupid.

Anybody try flushing from the water pick up in the leg through the riser tube when the lower leg is not installed to see if it is clear?

Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
gradynorm said:
Have a 33 express with twin F250's. Replaced both water pumps and installed the lower units today. The starboard engine started on the ear muffs and was pumping a good stream of water (though one time when I tried it again it wasn't pumping)

The port engine would never pump water. Ran water through the flush kit and a nice stream came out. Dropped the leg again and the impeller was fine and locked to the key on the shaft. All o-rings in place. Tubes lined up when I reinstalled.

Not sure how good and stable on ear muffs but I did get the starboard to pee water. Any ideas or things to try? Assume it is either the ear muffs or I a missing something stupid.

Anybody try flushing from the water pick up in the leg through the riser tube when the lower leg is not installed to see if it is clear?

Thanks.

First thing is to try the flush port with the motor off. The water should pee. If not, something is blocked or disconnected.
Assume that it does pee, use muffs with motor off and see if the water comes out the same on both motors. Make sure that the muffs cover both sides of the LU.

Have you checked to see that the water tube connecting the upper unit to the pump outlet is connected on BOTH ends?
Sometimes one of the two rubber ring gaskets
moves when installing the pump housing. You would need to dissasemble the pump to check
Regarding counter rotating motors. I am pretty sure that the pump rotates the same direction in both.

gradynorm

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did check the flush unit and it pumps clearly through the upper head with no blockage. I did not try blowing water up the riser tube with the lower unit off. May need to try that. Will also try a large rubbermaid today that can hold the lower unit.

How do you check that the tube is connected at the top of the riser tube?

With regard to counter rotation, I read on the forum that a yamaha mechanic told an owner that when the shaft starts spinning the fins will align. I am assuming that is true but may look to reverse them.

Thanks for the input. Hope today goes better.

Brad1

Reaction score
Had that happen several times with an F225. First thing, use the dual feed muffs (has a feed going to both intake ports). I noticed a dealership didn't get a stream out of my motor, but I did. They weren't using the dual feed muffs.

However, even with the dual feed muffs I have had no pee stream even with a brand new impeller. Each time, the cuplrit was a clogged port where the pee stream comes out. A small piece of flexible wire shoved up in the hole was all it took to unclog it.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I never liked the idea of using muffs, I prefer a barrell filled with water so the engine can take what it needs.We had the same issue with my fathers F150's after replacing his waterpumps this year using muffs..No pee. As far as counter rotating, both shafts turn clockwise..there is an extra gear in the lower unit that converts it to counter rotation.

gradynorm

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for very good input.

I did get it resolved today, basically by replacing the new impeller with the old one, which still looked brand new after 300hrs.

I am not 100% sure but my belief is I had too much grease inside the housing which I placed there to ease the housing over the impeller. I think it was not allowing a good enough seal. It wasn't the direction of the impeller blades since those were fine.

It is true both engines revolve the same direction since both old impellers were bent in the same direction.

Again thanks for the input. It is now running well and ready to get wet.