WATER PUMP COST AND TIME TO DO THE JOB QUESTION?

SlimJim

Reaction score
I have twin Yamaha 200 HPDIs and would like to know how much it is to have the water pumps changed and how long it should take to do the job? Also does anyone know how much the water pumps cost per pump? Thanks! :lol:

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did my F250's last weekend.
Impellars were $27 each
and the kits were $54
I bought 2 impellars and 1 kit.
I wanted to make sure I had enough parts do do both engines and have enough good spare parts to make a spare kit to keep in the boat. We go to Bimini twice a year and if I or anyone else in my group had a pump fail the spare kit will be priceless.
It took me 5 hours to drain and fill both gearcases, pull the props and clean and grease the shafts, pull the lower units and change the impellars. While it was apart I cleaned the drive shafts and coated them T-9. Drain and filled both crankcases and changed the oil filters.
One night this week I'll change the fuel filters and change the generator oil.
Servicing my own boat is enjoyable to me and I love saving the money.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Thanks, what about the Water Pumps? Did you change them as well? If so how long does it take and how much did the water pump cost?

GulfGrady

Reaction score
SlimJim said:
Thanks, what about the Water Pumps? Did you change them as well? If so how long does it take and how much did the water pump cost?
Impellars were $27 each
and the kits were $54

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
The impellar, in its housing, is the assembly that pumps water.
To be fair, one way is to change JUST the impellar, but I believe the way yamaha recommends the job to be performed is the impeller AND the housing. That may be the kit refered to above.
I did mine on my own, pretty simple with the manual in hand. I think all components to do both was about $225. I just went to yamaha and asked for everything I needed.
The job took me 2 hours for the first motor and 1.5 for the second.
If you are getting this done at a dealer, they should be able to tell you what "book time" for the job is and that is what you should pay.
Tim

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Lucky Stars said:

I couldnt agree more. Also, for me, it is the confidence that the job is done correctly without cutting corners. I twisted tools putting my wife and then myself thru college and have seen first hand what can happen in a shop environment, things get busy, people make small mistakes and cover them up, even at good places!

Tim

TBone

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
Lucky Stars said:

I couldnt agree more. Also, for me, it is the confidence that the job is done correctly without cutting corners. I twisted tools putting my wife and then myself thru college and have seen first hand what can happen in a shop environment, things get busy, people make small mistakes and cover them up, even at good places!

Tim

Totally agree there. I have spun the wrenches myself for a living and spent alot of time in the repair business, and to back what Fishinfan stated, you wouldnt believe some of the corners people cut and charge you top dollar! :shock:
The book hours that a job cost, say 6 hrs, if they work for flat rate and they do it in 3.5hrs, you still get whacked with the 6hr price. Also with that it inspires the mechanic to rush the job and possibly cut corners to get another job in. Get 12hrs flat rate paid for 7hrs worked? Not bad deal, cant' balme 'em to want to make money, but it makes you leary whenits your equipment being worked on. Thats why I do almost everything myself, cant stand the fact somone might be hacking a job I know I could do and possibly better.

But as for the impellers(water pumps) I've always done my own, not difficult, just pay attention to the orientation of the impeller blade bend as they come out and make sure they go back the same way.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
TBone said:
just pay attention to the orientation of the impeller blade bend as they come out and make sure they go back the same way.

IF you put them in backwards, I think they will flip around to the correct orientation when first started.... not 100% sure about this.

Tim

JiminGA

Reaction score
This isn't about HPDIs water pumps (it's for F200 series), but I think it is a great post from THT. By the way, you'll see Shipyard Island Marine (SIM) mentioned. There's a guy named Andy there and he is a tremendous help to folks who are new to doing it yourself (like me). I bet he could answer your HPDI questions. He ihas been very helpful when I call about with what parts are needed, etc, etc. He sent me the water pump kit, T-stats, Yamaha service manual, etc, etc that I needed and even labeled the packets containing gaskets (at my request) so I could tell immediately which application it was for. I am now a faithful customer.

They have a section on THT. Here is a step-by-step on water pump changouts - VERY helpful!:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thre ... 63&start=1

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the lower units are off the boat, you should be able to do both in 45 minutes. If the lower plate and housing are in good shape (no gouges, etc.), just change the impeller. Pick up a manual, it should explain the job with pictures. Changing the oil and cleaning/greasing the prop shaft takes more time.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
SlimJim said:
I have twin Yamaha 200 HPDIs and would like to know how much it is to have the water pumps changed and how long it should take to do the job? Also does anyone know how much the water pumps cost per pump? Thanks! :lol:

just pay me to do it, LOL

more than $1 less than $1,000,000