Water pump rebuild kits

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Okay, not trying to be cheap... but simyamaha has a rebuild kit for like 114 bucks.. complete kit. I know, so many say "they are the best".. I get it, but, when I see the same kit #'s on Amazon for 1/3 that price or less... yea, the quality may not be there, but.. it also may be there.

Anyone ever used something other than the SimYamaha brands?

I was googling part # 61A-W0078-A3-00 and there is a huge price drop....I am wondering how much is "quality" and how much is "fanboi" pricing. Hell, for the price of the others, you could replace them ever friggin year and still save money.

Even saw this:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-61A-W...-a3-00&qid=1567521603&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-3

That says yamaha parts.. but not sure if the water pump is in that brown box.

R

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That is the Yamaha part # (not Sim Yamaha's part)
Partsvu.com is also a good spot to search for OEM yamaha parts (sometimes for less than Sierra aftermarket I've seen)

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks!

Is Sierra any good?

I see the OEM kit, but it does not seem to include the water pump or a few other smaller parts. Wonder if I really need to replace the actual pump.

R

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Ordered all my stuff from parts vu this year to do the water pumps, oil/gear changes and fuel filters on my 350's. All genuine Yamaha stuff. To me, not worth the chance. I ordered 2 impellers, and one complete water pump kit. I ended up using just the impellers since the o-ring seemed fine. I just did complete pumps 2 years ago. I am thinking impellers every 2 years, complete pump every 4, as long as everything looks ok.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Russ, if you don’t know the condition of the pumps I recommend you have two full kits in hand and replace everything. That way you will have a clean starting point. After that, you should be good with just impellers for a while, as long as you don’t take sand up in there as it quickly erodes the casings.

I always bought from Andy, as he was a great source of assistance and information, in addition to really knowing his parts.

Reactions: Willy-C

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Russ, if you don't see a water pump in that picture, what specifically are you looking for? I suspect that the plastic top housing is whats in the brown box, which gives you a complete pump in that picture.
There is no "actual pump", like an automotive water pump. Those parts are the pump.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oh, I plan to replace the whole thing. No sense taking it apart and not replacing the pumps if they are that cheap.

R

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree with others. Full Yamaha brand kits in both for a fresh starting point. I worked in the industry as well and always encouraged the customer to go with name brand parts when at all possible. I got no commission from selling parts so that was not my goal. Factory parts always seem to work better, the tolerances are correct more so than generic parts. As to where you get the parts, someone like Andy is a good place. If you ever have questions, he's more likely to answer them and give you guidance than some random person from eBay. I buy all my OEM Yamaha parts through my Yamaha dealer in Charleston and have them shipped to me in Kentucky. I have a excellent relationship with them and they are more than willing to troubleshoot with me over the phone on any issues I can't figure out on my own. I picked up a service manual from one of our members and that is also a great source of info. My F225 is an '04 with over 1250 hours and I still run Yamaha oil and filters. I might pay a little more but I know what I'm putting in was designed for my motor.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I hear ya guys. Was just looking for reviews of the other brands vs oem as well as prices vs simyamaha. The disparity of 114 per kit vs 35 per kit is crazy.

I am all for oem, just trying to ask if anyone used the other kits and/or if anyone knows a better price for the full kit than 114.

Imo, it seems a bit excessive compared to a few other sites. While finding a part is pretty easy on their site, they seem to charge a premium for their name.

I agree with going oem, just trying to do my homework first heh.

I plan to order two full kits today, just debating from where. Also seeing if I can do the water kits now and the oil next month vs both at the same time. I figured to get them both done before I drop her back in, may as well....but need to spread the cost out a little as I think the oil change kit will cost be 200-300 alone....and I still need a new actuator heh

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oh, and I have the oem manual, a Seloc manual, and one I think OCNSLR emailed me, may have been Seasick though, have to look. I am nerdy that way, I like to research this stuff lol.

I do not buy cheap, I look for best price of the best parts and add that to best service after the sale....hence why SimYamaha seems great, but the other site’s prices are tempting if the reviews are good. Trying not to spend another 1000 this month and next.

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Here is an example

Boats.net has free shipping. The kit is like 56 each, plus 25 for the pump itself.

That is like 81 per motor for what looks to be the same thing, all oem.

Vs 114.

That is a 46 buck savings. 46 bucks is 1/3 of a new reel lol...so, curious if boats.net is worthwhile heh.

Cheap, not dumb:p

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
How often do you all replace the actual pump housing? Just curious. For me, the first time would be a must, after that...kinda want to have one on hand, but only swap it out if it needs it.

Thought?

Just a question of no need to waste a good one.

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Okay, parts ordered for both water pumps. I went ahead and got the housings.. not that big a deal.. but, I will not get them till Monday.. ggrrr.. so, have to find something else to "fix" this weekend lol

R

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Here is an example

Boats.net has free shipping. The kit is like 56 each, plus 25 for the pump itself.

That is like 81 per motor for what looks to be the same thing, all oem.

Vs 114.

That is a 46 buck savings. 46 bucks is 1/3 of a new reel lol...so, curious if boats.net is worthwhile heh.

Cheap, not dumb:p

I use boats.net all the time. Yamaha parts. Used to get my Suzuki parts there too. Diagrams. reasonable prices. Always try to think of everything you need and order all at once to meet the free shipping. Sucks when you still need a $5 part and have to pay shipping

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Coolio...I ordered all new parts. Have to look closer at the actuator on the trailer. If it can be cleaned and repaired, great.. if not, that will be next month. This month is water pump and possibly the winch. Right now, have to wait and see how the finances go as I spent a litt.. er.. lot.. (lol) more last month than I expected so, to keep the wife happy, I am holding off with repairing too too much at once ;)

This is actually not bad. I mean, I get to test a few things, replace the water pump and impeller etc.. clean all that up... clean the hull up a little more and apply the decals again... who knows, maybe clean up the wiring a little more than I would have if it were all working well heh.

Bright side to everything.. just need to pull her into the shop as far as she will go, for shade, and start breaking her open ;)

R