Water Pump?

rgs91

Reaction score
I just changed the water pump, thermostat and poppet valve on my Yamaha 250 OX66 that's attached to my 232. I figured with the manual and the info on this site I could handle it. Everything came off and on just like the book says. My question is the water stream from the motor. It came out like a steady stream and then slowed to a trickle( I used ear muffs attached to my hose). I shut the motor down in less than 1 minute. Does it need to warm up for the water to flow or is there something wrong? TIA
:?

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
I have had 2 200HP Yamahas and both of them when put on the hose attachment at the cowling would give a nice stream of water out of the p hole that after about a minute would be an even better stream of water.

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
Oh and I also asked the mechanic if I could run the motor on the flushing attachment. He said according to yamaha...no. He then said if the motor is all the way down and you let the water run till you see it pooling and coming out of the screen covers above the lower unit that it is ok to run the motor. I have done it plenty and never had an issue. If you overheat your motor or ruin your impeller I will deny I ever said that 8) . It is a pretty controversial issue apparently so google it and do what you feel and ignore what I say.

richie rich

Reaction score
GG, how can you deny that when it's in print? :lol: Just kidding...
I don't know why it should'nt work with ear muffs...ask the mechanic how he winterizes all the motors at the end of the season...in a river running through the shop?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Makes sure both muffs cover complete intakes (both sides).
So check muff placements carefully.
And open up water supply valve.

If you can't get boat in water, get the longest and tallest storage box rubbermaid makes, that will do it.

Forget flushing fittings.

rgs91

Reaction score
UPDATE!

I decided to blow out the line from the engine to the weephole and it ended up being clogged!! Works perfectly now. Nice steady stream with the muffs. I really appreciate the help!!