Water spots on windows-------Any ideas??

hangman1176

Reaction score
Can't get the water spots off the front window of my new boat, any idea guys??

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you tried a Coke?

Open one up and pour it liberally over the glass...use a sponge, then rinse thoroughly.

Dry the glass using a microfiber cloth, then apply Rain-X.

By the way, Rain-X has a combination glass cleaner/Rain-X product out now...Save your money...I was extremely disappointed. The best glass cleaner I have found is still the Zep foaming stuff...buy it at Home Depot.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And once you get the glass clean again, chamois (sp?) it dry after every tap water wash down. I chamois the stainless too and it seems to make a difference over time.

Rob

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Use hot wate rand white vinegar, it will take the spots off the windows easily. The hotter the water the better. After you get them clean, apply rain x once a month and they will not spot. I just wipe mine down with boat soap and a sponge and rinse them off and let air dry and they stay clean without spots. When they do not beed as well which is usually around a month, reapply. Apply the Rain-x 2 times when applying it, that way you do not miss spots, plsu the saltwater enviornment will break it down faster.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ditto on RainX. You can run in spray w/o the wipers. It does wonders. DO NOT use it on the clear vinyl. BW and WM have something called the Absorber which is a chamois but works really well. I use it on glass and vinyl after washing and never have water spots.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
megabytes said:
Ditto on RainX. You can run in spray w/o the wipers. It does wonders. DO NOT use it on the clear vinyl. BW and WM have something called the Absorber which is a chamois but works really well. I use it on glass and vinyl after washing and never have water spots.

Ditto on the Absorber - that is what I use. Holds up well, too.

Rob

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Straight white vinegar and newspaper clean glass windows anywhere. The vinegar will also kill any mold you have around as well. It's cheap and readily available. I keep it in a spray bottle on the boat. Enviornmentally friendly and works great!

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have never done the vinegar/newspaper thing but I heard of it for years from classic car owners. Apparently that trick is well known as a means to make car window look great.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I first head about vinegar and newspaper I thought BS, that isn't going to work but the reaction of the acid in the vinegar and the newspaper really does a good job.

tony-sally

Reaction score
capt chris said:
Straight white vinegar and newspaper clean glass windows anywhere. The vinegar will also kill any mold you have around as well. It's cheap and readily available. I keep it in a spray bottle on the boat. Enviornmentally friendly and works great!

capt chris will the vinegar work on the
black mold in the bielge area?
I've heard bleach isn't good for the
gel coat in those areas
Tony

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
tony-sally said:
capt chris said:

capt chris will the vinegar work on the
black mold in the bielge area?
I've heard bleach isn't good for the
gel coat in those areas
Tony
Tony-Sally,
As long as it's mold it should. If it's mildew try the vinegar first and if that doesn't work use Spray Nine and let it sit for a minute. Good Luck!

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
just keep the newspaper away from your vinyl or white canvas, the newsprint will come off in a heartbeat both dry and after getting wet with vinegar, and then you have another real challenge to deal with

hangman1176

Reaction score
Vinegar doesn't work.

Bought some white vinegar and it don't work??? I even let it sit on the window and no go. I cleaned with newspaper and towels etc... and still no go. Anyone else have suggestions on taking off the water spots.

Thanks

tony-sally

Reaction score
try the bright cleaner called
never-dull that cotton wadding
that's been around forever
if you read the can it says
its for glass I'ved tried it
and if the spotting Isn't real
real bad it works let me know
how you make out

Tony

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
water spots

try using a Miracle Cloth. I haven't done my windows yet but I did the plexi covering the gauges and electronics box and it came out great! (Use it on your windshield frame, you'll be amazed!)

dbookman

Reaction score
Window Spots

Griot's Garage used to sell a glass polish that worked pretty well. You might check them out and see if they still sell it.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Bon Ami with a spong will clean the glass. Wet the window shake it on and work it in like a rubbing compound paste then rinse. Add the rain-x and your good to go.