Water system and Bleach

Motivator

Reaction score
How much is enough? Water tank is 32 gallons and hot water tank is 6 gallons, how much bleach do I add to the water to help with bacteria growth?

Motivator

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I usse 1/2 gallon in a couple of gallons of water and the run the system to get the solution in the lines. Clean the filters and then flush for 1/2 hour until the bleach is gone. Works great for me and no bleach odor

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After flushing every spring, I add AquaTabs to my water so it doesn't rot between trips. This is especially important during the warm months.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was recently told by a marine surveyor to use Bromine. Have not tried it, was wondering if anyone else heard of this or tried it. Not sure what those tabs are made of that the marine stores sell, maybe they are bromine? Mega, do you remember what the label said?

freddy063

Reaction score
We use about a 1/2 cup every time we top off the water. but we don't drink water on the boat, just wash and shower. I't smells a little but not as bad as some of the other things on the boat after a few days. As far as Bromine we use that in our home hot tub, never thought to use it in the boat water, bleach is so cheap and works great for a lot of cleaning. Like to learn more about the Bromine thing. :D

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Freddy, just curious is the Bromine expensive, hard to get? Is it a brand name or just another 'ine' type of chemical? I am guessing you buy at a pool supply store?

Gary M

Reaction score
Good thread!

My water had been stinky since we bought the boat (used) two years ago. The first 4-6-8 seconds of water flow, it smells. I have flushed the tank many times and have added bleach recently but only a few tablespoons to my Marlin's tank. It looks to me that I need to be adding a LOT more bleach! I have tried other water products but with no success.......

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Bleach and bromine are both ozidizers only bromine is more powerfull and not effected as much by PH. Use bleach for our needs and it will do the same thing and keep the cash saved for the fuel. Paying more for the same result is usless.

Also if your tank gets bad a few tablespoons of bleach or bromine will get consumed by the bacteria but some bugs will be left behind to grow again. You have to kill it all so add a 1/2 gallon run the boat to wash it around and 4 hours contact time should be good then give it a flush. I'm like others above in that I add 1/2 cup for my 15 gallons but dont drink it. I would add the tabs if I planned on using it for cooking or drinking myself due to its slow release properties.

Motivator

Reaction score
Legend,
Filters? Do you know where they are located on a 282?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Motivator - My filters are right beford and after the the pump. The one before the pump is a strainer and the one after more of a filter. On the Gulfstream they are right beneath the bench seat at the stern. They really get gross with mold or algae.

Stonewall

Reaction score
Believe it or not.... a bottle of cheap white wine works wonders for fresh water tanks. Just dump it in and run it through. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Most people make a huge mistake by turning on the water heater before completely flushing it out. Once that pink stuff gets hot the smell is near impossible to get out.

Absolute

Reaction score
Stonewall said:
Believe it or not.... a bottle of cheap white wine works wonders for fresh water tanks. Just dump it in and run it through. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Hey Stonewall- I have never heard of that one. Are you sure you dont drink the bottle of white wine and then you cannnot smell anything in the water? :lol:

Stonewall

Reaction score
Absolute said:
Stonewall said:

Hey Stonewall- I have never heard of that one. Are you sure you dont drink the bottle of white wine and then you cannnot smell anything in the water? :lol:
That works too!!!

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Check out the March 2008 edition of Anchorline. On page 3 under the Customer Tips column, the second paragraph discusses the fresh water tank and the use of bleach in the system. It recommends 2 pints of bleach for every 50 gallons of water. Check it out!

freddy063

Reaction score
Bromine is about 20 buck for a 2 lbs bottle, I use about a 1/8 of a cup per 3 or 4 days, so the bottle last about 4 months not sure how much for a boat system, the hot tub is 360 gallons.

The Black Pearl II

Reaction score
water treatment

sounds like a lot of bleach. i have read a lot of info on how much, it is like a tablespoon per gallon to keep it fresh. maybe a cup or two for shock treatment.

plus there are all kinds of treatements, which i find work well.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gary M said:
2001 Marlin----------------> What filters? Where are they?

Gary
The freshwater pump and its filters are behind the panel in the aft cabin on the port side. About ten screws hold the panel on.

My water is so bad I don't even screw the panel back.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have have never heard of wine in the water tank- but I have heard of using cheap vodka to keep the water fresh. The alcohol is supposed to either kill the bad stuff or make you not care.

Motivator

Reaction score
During my blow boat years, we used vodka as an antifreeze.