Water tank gauge on 330 express

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Has anyone done any work on the fresh water gauge in the head on a 330? I’m not sure what activates it? My Bertram had a momentary switch next to the gauge.
Any direct experience would be appreciated. Nothing in the owners manual about it.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Fresh water pressure switch on the DC switch panel activates the gauge.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just as a FYI. The breaker serves both purposes (switch and current protection).

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just as a FYI. The breaker serves both purposes (switch and current protection).
Yeah, Thanks. I did know that. My gauge just doesn’t move. I checked it real quick today With the freshwater turned on. Nothing. I’ll get on it this week. I’m supposed to go to Fountain to fix their pressurized livewells this week. Not sure if I’m going to travel at this point. I already canceled all my plane tickets.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My water tank level indicator has been pegged on empty for past 3 years

I assumed it was the sending unit but the water tank is behind the generator and under the halon fire control. Virtually impossible to get to without a lot of disassembly.

Very interested to find if that is not the case & what the solution is

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My water tank level indicator has been pegged on empty for past 3 years

I assumed it was the sending unit but the water tank is behind the generator and under the halon fire control. Virtually impossible to get to without a lot of disassembly.

Very interested to find if that is not the case & what the solution is
I'll post when I get to the bottom of this.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here’s the sending unit. I’m not familiar with this one

Attachments

• C3C9DC3D-50B6-41B2-A001-56FED74FA834.jpeg
    C3C9DC3D-50B6-41B2-A001-56FED74FA834.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

Bayhouse

Reaction score
I had this problem in the past, found a sending wire to the gauge pulled out of a connector. I decided to check this first before replacing the sending unit.

Remove the gauge in the head and look back there, I could not easily access it from the bulkhead in the aft cabin. IIRC, i had to add a little strip of wire to make the connections more easy.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had this problem in the past, found a sending wire to the gauge pulled out of a connector. I decided to check this first before replacing the sending unit.

Remove the gauge in the head and look back there, I could not easily access it from the bulkhead in the aft cabin. IIRC, i had to add a little strip of wire to make the connections more easy.
Are you saying that you accessed the back of the gauge from the Starboard side panel in the aft birth? I just had that out when I rebuilt the vacuum Pump and replaced the joker valves on the vacuflush System. I don’t recall if I could see the water gauge? I was thinking to access it from the panel under the starboard lounge where the water heater is? Or will the gauge pull out without getting behind it?

Last edited:

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
All fixed. It was just corroded spade connectors where the tank sender connects to the wiring harness right back at the tank. Replaced them with waterproof heat shrink butt splices.755FFE85-D3C2-4373-B68D-35B635E2554E.jpeg

Last edited:

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Are you saying that you accessed the back of the gauge from the Starboard side panel in the aft birth? I just had that out when I rebuilt the vacuum Pump and replaced the joker valves on the vacuflush System. I don’t recall if I could see the water gauge? I was thinking to access it from the panel under the starboard lounge where the water heater is? Or will the gauge pull out without getting behind it?

Saw that you figured it out, but will post a response for others.

Not exactly that starboard panel, I also have a ‘box’ on the forward bulkhead in the mid berth for the wires going to the panel. If you look up from there, you can see the back of the gauge...and this is where I could see the disconnected wire, but couldn’t do anything with it because it was too tight.

I pulled the water gauge out in the head and had enough wire to pull through the hole and do the repair.

pretty sure I caused this when I was working on the duckbill valves.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Saw that you figured it out, but will post a response for others.

Not exactly that starboard panel, I also have a ‘box’ on the forward bulkhead in the mid berth for the wires going to the panel. If you look up from there, you can see the back of the gauge...and this is where I could see the disconnected wire, but couldn’t do anything with it because it was too tight.

I pulled the water gauge out in the head and had enough wire to pull through the hole and do the repair.

pretty sure I caused this when I was working on the duckbill valves.
Thanks! Always good to know how to access everything! I know the box. My auto pilot compass is mounted there.

Sea Dragon

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My gauge works but only in large steps. The gauge indicates full when completely full then drops quickly to 1/2 when in use and stays at that level indiction until empty. Then once I hear the pump starving for water and switch the breaker off and back on, the gauge reads empty. Has anyone removed or worked on the sending units? I know it is a bear to access, but having done my aft bilge pump from the generator locker hatch, I think I can reach the sender.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I changed the sender on my 2007 330. Pretty easy to access over the top of the generator. Make sure it is the sender and not the gauge. Easy to test and you can do it without removing the sender if you can access the wires coming forward. Step fill the water tank and watch the resistance go from 240-33 ohms or 33-240 ohms, can't remember which off the top of my head.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Sounds like the tank sender to me, but as suggested, easy enough to test it. Testing is a whole lot easier if removed, but access back there is a PITA.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You may be able to pull it out and clean it. Sounds like it is working but the float is sticky and requires a big change for it to move.

Grumpygrady

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
i have same issue starting - it is intermittently working. i have the access panel in the stern removed as i had to due some generator maintenance - and i will now check the connection for corrosion. As i have this access open, maybe i should just change the sending unit while i can get to it and before i put things back. Boat is an 2004. Anyone have the part number?

also - how do i disassemble? does it unscrew or do i pry it out?

thanks