water where it shouldn't be

wdlfbio

Reaction score
It's a 2007 282 Sailfish. got it at the beginning of summer, so I'm still learning tons.

Took it out a few weekends ago and had some chovies die off in the bait well and get stuck in the standoff. Caused it to overflow onto the deck. Noticed a few inches of water in the cabinet above the baitwell too.

Two weekends ago it happened twice more. And again water in the cabinet above. So, for that, I think I need a larger box (wire mesh) around the top of the standoff so dead/dying baits can't get pinned against it and clog it. I did look under the bait well via the little round port at the back of the single sleeping area and didn't see any signs of water in that area.

Also had water in the forward bilge for the first time two weekends ago. It was kinda white and frothy at times. Water was getting in throughout the day. we were out tuna fishing and I ran the bilge several times to pump it out. The evening before I ran the heater for the first time (shore power hooked up all night). at then end of the trip, a friend noticed the JABSCO indicator light flahing (the one to the right of the head if you are sitting). Now, I have never used the head and am certain it has never been used. I don't even know if there is fresh water in the holding tank.

Sorry the photo is sideways
IMG-20100901-00010.jpg

So, anyone have any idea what is going on with this stuff?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ditto

All the seacocks should be closed when not in use.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
The seacock for the AC was closed before we left the dock. I suspect the 30g fresh water tank is the one in the stern bilge area and the 10 gallon waste holding tank is the one in the forward bilge, under the midship bed???

Anyone know what the flashing light on the JABSCO switch thing means? The toilet's little manual doesn't even mention it.

Maybe this is normal, but I just remebered it from the first time the bait well overflowed. I actually had the baitwell pump off, water drained out (we were done fishing), but baitwell seacock open and inadvertently had a cutting board blocking the baitwell drain. About an hour into the ride home on a flat sea doing about 30 mph, water was entering the baitwell and literally overflowed from it. Made no sense that water got sucked into the baitwell, especially since it is midship???

Motivator

Reaction score
Jabsco indicator is telling you the holding tank is full and needs to be pumped out. You can turn off the indicator by pushing the button to the left of the flashing lights...should be square. To empty the tank at sea you need to close the head intake sea cock and open the head outlet sea cock then push the button to the right of the flashing lights on the Jabsco indicator. Both sea cocks can be found under the center cushion of the mid berth.

Motivator

Reaction score
One other thing, the Jabsco indicator in the head is for the macerator/holding tank, you should have a separate manual for it.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
wdlfbio said:
The seacock for the AC was closed before we left the dock. I suspect the 30g fresh water tank is the one in the stern bilge area and the 10 gallon waste holding tank is the one in the forward bilge, under the midship bed???

Anyone know what the flashing light on the JABSCO switch thing means? The toilet's little manual doesn't even mention it.

Maybe this is normal, but I just remebered it from the first time the bait well overflowed. I actually had the baitwell pump off, water drained out (we were done fishing), but baitwell seacock open and inadvertently had a cutting board blocking the baitwell drain. About an hour into the ride home on a flat sea doing about 30 mph, water was entering the baitwell and literally overflowed from it. Made no sense that water got sucked into the baitwell, especially since it is midship???

I have the same setup in my Sailfish and my livewell does the same thing. If I leave the livewell pump valve open the livewell will fill up and overflow on to the deck. I now keep it closed unless I need to use it. I found out the hard way, I had three tackle boxes full of brand new tackle that filled to the top with water. Needless to say, I spent all night washing the salt off off every lure, hook and jig. My basement looked like a tackle store for 2 days while everything dried out. LOL The pickup for the livewell is aft next to the washdown so it doesn't really matter where the actual well is. As far as water in the front bilge goes, I occasionally get water in there as well. But not as much as your talking about. I really haven't figured out where it's coming from either. I'm thinking the anchor locker door. And as far as the head goes, There are afew posts on here about that. I think it's a seal or diaphram that is probably bad. I will admit, I am guilty of running with the toilet intake open but my tank has never filled up. I do have the electric flush and that may be different. I am not sure.

Good luck, Bob

Frank

Reaction score
Bob Coco said:
wdlfbio said:
I now keep it closed unless I need to use it. I found out the hard way, I had three tackle boxes full of brand new tackle that filled to the top with water. Needless to say, I spent all night washing the salt off off every lure, hook and jig. My basement looked like a tackle store for 2 days while everything dried out. LOL

That is scary. :mrgreen: It is dangerous to put your tackle in one place where your wife can see it. Better that it not be clear how much might be there. :hmm

wdlfbio

Reaction score
The anchor rode area is certainly a possibility. I'll keep an eye on that too.

Thanks folks

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Welp, I was out for about 8 hours yesterday in 5-7' with no wind, and took no water over the bow. had a scoop of cruddy pinhead chovies and many died quickly. Clogged the bait tank stand off again, sever times, causing it to over flow. Ended up with more water in the forward bilge. Had all the cushion out and noticed the midberth had water on it. So I'm really thinking that I'm getting water coming into the cuddy from the bait well. Figure I'll call Grady tomorrow about it. Very disappointing if that's the case.

Motivator

Reaction score
I know on my livewell there is a gap between the top of the livewell and the underside of the seat, you might want to check yours and if the gap is present use some 5200 to seal it tight.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
I was wondering about that. I stuck my head in there a while back. I remember thinking, I hope I don't have to try to seal this off. I'll need a buddy to grab my ankles and hold me upside in order to get in there :doh :sorry

I think that's a project for tonight or tomorrow afternoon.