Waterline Adjustment for Bottom Paint

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think I need to add 2 inches to my paint in the bow for next year - have it taper up since the stern looks good.

Anything I can do about that scum line? I scrub it every week or so...

Any suggestions / guidance?

3153698919_9df41d4ede_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alpertphoto/3153698919/

3153698867_4d4f2b33f5_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alpertphoto/3153698867

mronzo

Reaction score
Try On/Off hull cleaner but wear thick rubber gloves and eye protection as this stuff is toxic!

seasick

Reaction score
You can't do much more than scrub it as often as you do. If it stays in the water, You do need to use boat soap and a long handled brush when you scrub it. Save that Hull ON OFF for the tough stains and when the boat is out of the water. Boat soap is OK for in the water. On land, most of those stains can be removed with milder chemicals like Barkeepers Friend. Fiberglass compound and a buffer work well for the yearly cleanup. Even a cleanser wax will remove most of the scum as long as you don't let it sit too long.

If your water line is getting higher each season and you haven't added extra weight to your boat or shifted existing weight, you may have a water intrussion problem.
That could be bilge water buildup or soaked hull. Sometimes it is as simple as how the boat is loaded. For smaller hulls, running a half full tank versus a full tank of fuel can account for a decent shift in the water line. For my boat a half tank of gas weighs about 240 pounds, equivalent to 1 1/2 average people.

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the advice.

I don't think there has been much of change in the waterline since I've owned it (3 years), I've just not addressed the issue. I think the photo shows the boat with a near full tank. Perhaps the anchor line (in the photo / mooring line (as normally stored in-season) pulls down the bow more than would be the case if it were in a slip?

My scrubbing to-date has not included soap, I'll give that a try next season.

ocjoy

Reaction score
I use a high quality boat wax on mine in the Spring. I put 2 coats on the hull and it stays fine all year. If I do get some scum it usually comes from too many people on one side fishing which lowers one side below the paint line. I can then use soap and a brush and it comes right off.

pilotart

Reaction score
New Waterline

A Laser tool would help you lay a new waterline with masking tape for your new bottom paint. :)

That would go double if you were adding a boot stripe (should widen at the bow). :D

Neckerindux

Reaction score
I, in addition to two coats of wax, use Race Glaze just above the waterline, nothing, nothing sticks to it. It was first developed for the navy as a non stick for radar arrays. Good stuff.

Jas

Reaction score
SC,

I have the same problem with my water / paint line and staining from the Chesapeake. (’97 GS) It just irks me that all the effort I go to in keeping the boat looking good is compromised by a waterline stain, even though I’m pretty active about cleaning there.

My plan is to re-strike the paint line, like you about two inches higher. I’ll tape it off, sand it a little (really just scuff the gelcoat) knock down the old paint lines, re-tape it, apply a barrier coat then after all the spring commissioning apply the final (abladative) waterline paint.
I think that will work. Opinions welcome, for the oops factor.

Ted