Wax/Polish in Cold Temp

hinmo

Reaction score
Whats the min. temp. to start polishing/waxing my hull?

(the older I get, the more hyper I get about next year and getting things done....time to roll!)

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Whats the min. temp. to start polishing/waxing my hull?

(the older I get, the more hyper I get about next year and getting things done....time to roll!)

Good question. I just picked a random, popular wax and found this on their Technical Data Sheet:

• Avoid applying in direct sunlight, or extreme temperatures (over 80 degrees F or less than 55 degrees F). Surface temperatures should feel lukewarm-room temperature to the touch. Do not apply if surface feels cold or hot to the touch.

https://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/Product-Tech-Sheets-PDF/TTech925pdf.pdf

seasick

Reaction score
As mentioned, you should follow the products directions. You should wash and dry the hull before any wax job. Hosing off the hull in cold temps can be uncomfortable and inconvenient.
If you are getting antsy about the next season, look for other things that should be done and can be done indoors.
Cleaning and treating cushions, cleaning and treating curtains, cleaning checking safety gear like vests. Inspecting parts that will need to be replaced like scupper flaps. Upgrading electronics software if applicable etc.

If your boat is covered and you can get into it, remember that on sunny days, the inside can get a lot warmer than the outside air. So cleaning and waxing/polishing the deck and helm is doable even in cold outside temps. To be honest, I usually hold off on the deck cleaning/waxing until after the hull is done and lately more often than not end up too eager to launch the boat before the deck work is done. Polishing metal fittings including the windshield frame will greatly prolong the boats good looks. I really detest that job...

hinmo

Reaction score
Point taken folks - plenty of other tasks I guess...55 degrees is a long way off here in New England

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
...55 degrees is a long way off here in New England

Maybe longer!!!!!!!!! Was able to snap this pic from last night's weather. Red area indicates 24 to 36 inches possible for next Sunday into Monday.

6s8u1Q8l.jpg

hinmo

Reaction score
The older I get, the MORE I HATE SNOW!