Waxing temperature

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
What do you guys think the minimum temperature should be to wax/polish the hull and topsides. I'm in the northeast and need to wax the hull as the final step in my spring pre launch punch list. Normally I will get this done with temperatures in the 50's however my work schedule this year may dictate detailing in colder weather. I will be using starbrite cleaner wax and polish with an orbital buffer. I'm not looking for opinions on products etc, just looking for the lowest minimal temperature that I can get this done. Any thoughts or experiences?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had the same question years ago and called the home office for my brand of wax.

They told me no colder than 55 degrees.

bac0701

Reaction score
do it on a sunny day also you polisher will warm up the hull a good bit.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I did some major sanding/compounding/buffing with 2 coats of wax to finish in 40-50 degree weather over the winter.

I have no doubt warmer weather is helpful, but I ended up with great results, just not ideal working conditions.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The results are in. According to starbrite, they recommend 50 degrees, however the gentleman I spoke with said that in the forties there should be no problems. Well It was mid 40's out and the product went on easy. It was marginally harder to buff out, but over all not much different then previous years. The hull sides came out great. One step closer now.

Reactions: Angler Management

seasick

Reaction score
You would have more issues in too hot an environment ( especially a hot and sunny one) than a tad cool.

Reactions: Angler Management