Weak floor issue

sane99

Reaction score
So my 83 seafarer I just got is a little weak on one side. Yes the boat is old and stringers are good its mostly cosmetic honestly. Behind the helm starboard side the deck floor is spiderwebbimg around one stringer! it's odd since they are fine and you can kinda guess where that string is now from topside. So my question is as follows. I want to kiwgrip the floor. Should i expoxy first? or gelcoat? I highly doubt the deck was ever regelcoated or buffed or compounded for that matter lol. The man i bought it from was very old and in that aspect didn't maintain it well. the cracks are just cosmetic nothing leaking through but i wanted to even it out and semi support the deck before i kiwigrip it. any help or input would be great thanks!!
jon

brown6512000

Reaction score
Gelcoat is going to get expensive. maybe drilling and epoxy might help with the soft spot, but i cannot speak with specificity on that matter.
I just kiwi gripped my deck wed night on my 81 GW dolphin. i decided to it for two reasons; i wanted to cover up all the fine stress cracks and dings as well as to add a non skid surface. i had a few small dings that i covered up with epoxy in addition to one small soft spot the size of a half dollar. afterwards my prep consisted of washing, wet sanding, drying and acetone. the longest part was taping everything off.

folivier

Reaction score
Pardon me for my ignorance, but how do you determine that a stringer is bad?
I'm asking because I will soon start looking for a used Grady 22' WA and don't want to overlook an expensive repair.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How did you verify that the stringers are good? Simply looking or tapping on them doesn't always cut it. Did you check the specific area of the stringer underneath the soft spot? I would drill some exploratory holes in the stringers.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're getting spider cracking from flexing around a stringer, then that points to a rotten stringer (from what you wrote, it sounds like the soft spot is directly above, and around, a stringer?). Plus, soft spots are usually not isolated - meaning, there's (again, unfortunately) a pretty good chance that the damaged area is larger than what you think. On the bright side, though, since you're thinking of doing some type of painted non-skid, you don't have to be that gentle with checking things out. I would at least skin the floor in an area about twice the size of the perceived soft spot. Based on what you find with the coring, proceed as needed.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
I'd also agree with Dennis . . . cosmetic cracking in the deck typically is indicating something structural, and if you can make out where the stringer "is" underneath, then I'd point probably to moisture/delam in the deck core from the skins. You can't fix this superficially with epoxy, gelcoat, or paint, without the same thing happening quickly again. It will require addressing whatever structural issue is there (probably wet core) first, before re-coating with your choice of top-coat. If you drill a single hole in the deck in the spot with the most cracking, squeeze the material pulled out on the drill bit to feel for moisture, and look/smell for color (black = wet rot vs tan/blonde = dry).

Bob.

sane99

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback I will do some drilling around and epoxy before kiwi. I guess I should use the word "weak" the Boat is an 83 I expected stress cracks. The cracks are mostly stress. The floor board is solid. I had a boat survey done and it appears cosmetic. I would assume constantly people boarding the boat from that side jumping on the deck. I asked the old owner and he said he boarded from that side too. The only issue I have is the gas tank floor board which I will do after the season. That is a little soft but nothing that can't wait even if I kiwi I will leave a 2" border near hatches so I can remove and repair that as well as the transom deck plate too. It seams fine but why not do it all. I always have water there when boarding the boat cuz of the 226 design. And I assume the 4stroke Suzuki 200 added more weight to pull it down. I going to work on a few projects this summer to try to even some weight moving batteries around etc.. I got this boat 2 weeks ago and everyday I go to work and cross the Verrazano I wish I was in the water!!! Gonna snap some cool pics over the weekend since fleet week is here in nyc!! I'll pair some pics of the upgrades I did this far soon. I'm thinking I can sand/acetone and do kiwi one weekend