WEELS ON THE BOAT GO ROUND AND ROUND

trimix

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hello once again, we all know the tune wheels on the bus go round and round, any child could help us with the words.
But my question to all my fellow male and female members is: I have a 1999 Grady white Islander with twin 150 Yamaha engines and I noticed the other day while my boat was on the rack when I started the engines up before putting it in the water and the left prop on the port engine was turning while in nature and the right engine was still so I did not put the boat in the water thinking the boat would move because the prop was turning or stuck in gear, long story short some said it suppose to move because it's in the opposite direction and some say you need to replace the throttle cable from the binnacle to the engine

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The viscosity of the gear lube is all that is turning the props when the shifter is in neutral.

2. you should not start your engines before you are in the water unless you have either muffs or flush ports connected to water. The impeller does not like being run dry.

seasick

Reaction score
Pretty normal. It is also more likely that a counter-rotating lower unit will have more idle spin than a normal rotation. When in the water, in neutral, that prop will spin a lot slower or not at all

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup, very normal. I wonder if it has anything to do with the age of the shaft seals, as well. Older seals may not fit quite as tight.

It's not spinning under any force - you could actually stop it with your hand... or a stick. Mine actually spins quite fast - but easily stopped.

trimix

Reaction score
Model
Islander
THANK YOU MUCH TO ALL RESPONDERS:cool::) THE FORUM IS A GREAT THING TO HAVE AND YOU THE PEOPLE ARE WHAT MAKES IT SOOOOO GREAT!