Welcome to the Transom Club... Need help in SW FL

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Well, I think I am going to be the newest member of the transom club. I am looking to get estimates, and I either get no response or the one that has responded estimated $15k to replace it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on companies that may be able to do transom work in the SW FL area?

Thanks in advance,
John

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’d get a better sense of the degree of repair needed. Did you get moisture readings yet?
$15k seems excessive. End of season, all the FL guys might just be tied up for a couple months right now with existing customer relationships. You may want to consider expanding your search to a few neighboring states or wait a couple months until off-season when there is more availability.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Did the transom 2 years ago came out great but I’m in the northeast
This year for me. Same result and in the northeast as well. Good luck with your search. Must be several good glass folks in your area.

Reactions: jmain

JMAT

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 325
Have you reached out to any Grady dealers like, Naples Boat Mart, Fishtail or Ingman to see if they have any recommendations of a guy?

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I had an estimate for a full stern replacement that was 7500 here in Va and that was an elevated price because his words were they are " 4 weeks of hell"

ddog

Reaction score
I did my own 20 years ago on the Seafarer with the help of a guy who doesn't do glass work anymore. Marlin is a bigger wider transom. Paying someone you are going to be in for 5K minimum if I had to guess. A lot depends on if its just the transom, are the stringers involved, etc. My dentist has a guy doing a complete restoration on his Mako 23. We were discussing it at my last appointment. His guy is in North Fort Myers. I have called him to get his contact info. I have seen a gentlemen named Jose who advertises on Fort Myers craigslist from time to time but know nothing about him. Before and after pics in his CL ad look promising. His place is apparently also accessible by water if you don't have a trailer and assuming your transom is not so far gone as to make the boat unsafe or inoperable. You would have to visit, look at his work and vet him out yourself.

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I’d get a better sense of the degree of repair needed. Did you get moisture readings yet?
$15k seems excessive. End of season, all the FL guys might just be tied up for a couple months right now with existing customer relationships. You may want to consider expanding your search to a few neighboring states or wait a couple months until off-season when there is more availability.
@PointedRose, everyone here seems really busy right now, so that may be part of it. I can't even get 75% of the people I called to call me back. I was expecting in the range of $5k to $7.5k, but not $15k.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Comes down to the level of effort and how much you need to replace. I'd say $5-10K for engine removal/installation and glass work.

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Getting mine replaced now. Estimate was $5K. Removing all plywood from transom and one stringer and going back with coosa board throughout. Good luck and sorry you are a member of the club now.
Thanks, @Late Again Grady. Hmmm. If I can get it done for $5k, then it might be worth a ride up to Myrtle Beach on a trailer! :)
The $15k estimate was for Coosa, so I was thinking that may be part of the expense, but your estimate blows that theory.

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Have you reached out to any Grady dealers like, Naples Boat Mart, Fishtail or Ingman to see if they have any recommendations of a guy?
@JMAT, I have not yet (just haven't had a chance yet, life has gotten in the way). I thought they would be the expensive ones, but maybe that is a bad assumption. I'll give them a shot this week. Thanks for the recommendation!

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I did my own 20 years ago on the Seafarer with the help of a guy who doesn't do glass work anymore. Marlin is a bigger wider transom. Paying someone you are going to be in for 5K minimum if I had to guess. A lot depends on if its just the transom, are the stringers involved, etc. My dentist has a guy doing a complete restoration on his Mako 23. We were discussing it at my last appointment. His guy is in North Fort Myers. I have called him to get his contact info. I have seen a gentlemen named Jose who advertises on Fort Myers craigslist from time to time but know nothing about him. Before and after pics in his CL ad look promising. His place is apparently also accessible by water if you don't have a trailer and assuming your transom is not so far gone as to make the boat unsafe or inoperable. You would have to visit, look at his work and vet him out yourself.
Thanks, @ddog. I am just trying to find anyone who can take time to call me back at this point! I don't have a trailer, so getting there by water would definitely help. I appreciate you getting the info for me!

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
@PointedRose, everyone here seems really busy right now, so that may be part of it. I can't even get 75% of the people I called to call me back. I was expecting in the range of $5k to $7.5k, but not $15k.
Yes, by November you might find more availability and willingness. Hell I’d drive over to the places you’re calling and try to talk in person and build some rapport.

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes, by November you might find more availability and willingness. Hell I’d drive over to the places you’re calling and try to talk in person and build some rapport.
That is a good thought. I wasn't sure sure if that would be a better time or worse time, because the migration of everyone from the north starts to head down here.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That is a good thought. I wasn't sure sure if that would be a better time or worse time, because the migration of everyone from the north starts to head down here.
Yeah good point. I’d tell the guys you’re talking to - look I don’t need this done immediately, but would like to get in the queue sooner than later and be ready for next season, and what can I perhaps start on my own to make it easier for the pro to take over when there’s time available.