Well, here goes!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You must have an alarm on that sump if you were at it at 0300.

I hope you have a pattern or dimensional notes so you don't have to start from square one to rebuild the planer.

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Got up for a drink and heard the pump running all the time. Outlet hose was pulled back partially inside the brick wall and dumping water. Wildlife or really strong spider.

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
And yes, I still have the plans and some details on mods I made, but I'm skeptical on how low the oak floated. Debating on switching back to yellow pine or something odd like mulberry.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Welcome to the Marlin owners club. I joined about a year ago. They are great boats.
If you haven't already, go over EVERY square inch of the boat to make sure there are no defects.
I had more than a few to correct.

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thank you! Definitely plan to look over it thoroughly. Can you let me know what types of things you found and had fixed?

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I hesitate to dump the list here because I think my boat was not typical of the grady quality.
What you should look for are:
doors/hatches alignment
side vent operation
hardware (cleats, etc) alignment
all fastners straight and secure
kinks in hoses
gel coat imperfections

I started at the stern and covered every inch, taking pictures and numbering defects.

One thing you should request if not done is a sealed off anchor locker with an overboard drain. I was told they were going to do that after my boat. Check. If there is no overboard drain (clam shell) then it is not done. Without it, rinsing the anchor locker results in water in the v-bunk storage area.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Congrats, and I thought my sanity was going, but only looking to Sea Trial, and finalize one of those 2005 Marlins you probably looked at in MD, this weekend. All the Best!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I guess I'm not doing something right. I saw where you guys have bought and are buying a Marlin, so I have been eying one down here at Marine Max. It's a really nice 2013 and their asking $179, so I figured I could work em down a bit from there, so I showed the Admiral the posts on here about you guys buying boats and I figured it was time to step up to a serious vessel. Well, the good news is, I was able to duck just in time so I was able to get out, "I was just kidding" as I scooted out back. I evidently have to do more reading on "The Art of the Deal";)

Buffalo Btms

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks!
And well, having no Admiral is an effective approach to negotiation, but clearly missed over the winter months.

fishinaround

Reaction score
I guess I'm not doing something right. I saw where you guys have bought and are buying a Marlin, so I have been eying one down here at Marine Max. It's a really nice 2013 and their asking $179, so I figured I could work em down a bit from there, so I showed the Admiral the posts on here about you guys buying boats and I figured it was time to step up to a serious vessel. Well, the good news is, I was able to duck just in time so I was able to get out, "I was just kidding" as I scooted out back. I evidently have to do more reading on "The Art of the Deal";)

Lol..lol..lol,...laughed so hard, cried!!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Keep at it. Could be the last boat you ever get.

Jargon

Reaction score
After being married nearly 40 years, I’ve learned to take it slowly by throwing hints here and there. Break progress points into singles and doubles. Trying to win the game with a homerun at every at bat leads to a lower batting average. Pitching the perfect game is when the wifeboss takes credit for the decision to buy.

Good luck!

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After being married nearly 40 years, I’ve learned to take it slowly by throwing hints here and there. Break progress points into singles and doubles. Trying to win the game with a homerun at every at bat leads to a lower batting average. Pitching the perfect game is when the wifeboss takes credit for the decision to buy.

Good luck!

Ha ha ha....Its just amazing how many little nuances guys have invented to navigate through that labyrinth.:) I get what you're saying about my lack of patience in the buildup, and I get your baseball analogy....it was like those times when you go all out on a swing and miss and it takes you to your knees at the plate. Really embarrassing and makes you hesitant to try again.

I just hope that we start seeing some pictures of this Marlin. It must be a dream!

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats and enjoy it, that is my dream boat. Maybe someday.