Went from 2 stroke to 4 stroke in a 19-20 footer?

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I've got a 1995 Grady Tournament 192 with a Yamaha 175TXRT two stroke. I'm thinking about going to the new Yamaha F200XB at about 40 extra lbs after backing out the external steering.

Has anyone else made a similar change, going from the V6 2-stroke to the I4 4-stroke in a 19-20 Grady? I'm expecting a slightly better top speed, lower fuel burn, less noise, and less smoke, but it's harder to quantify the overall boat performance.

What are your observations on hole shot, overall acceleration, noise, bow squat, and real MPG differences? I've been happy with my old TXRT and have to admit I'm not sure if the F200 would match the overall performance of the hefty 2-stroke.

Thanks,

T.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Are you getting water backing up into the scuppers with the current motor? If so it'll be even worse with the 200 and 40 more lbs. I have a 2001 192 and I replaced my Yami 150 2 stroke with a Tohatsu 140 4 stroke to save 50-57 pounds (after a Grady Factory Rep. advised me to go with the lightest weight possible... I had been considering the Honda 150). Not sure how much top end speed you need and I'm sure you'd get up there with the 200 compared to the upper 30's (mph) that I'm getting with the Tohatsu (and an aluminum prop.) but she gets right up and that top end is plenty for me. Very similar to what I got with the Yami and the hole-shot is actually quicker. You may want to talk to the factory as well before you pull the trigger just in case that weight is an issue.

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
This was the original factory rigging, 192 with Yam 175 2 stroke, and had I've had no problems with water in through the scuppers. I top out at 47mph, but my fuel and oil burn is getting worse.

I'd never considered going up until the new light weight Yamaha 4 strokes were available.

With the new lineup the F150XB and F200XB both weigh the exact same, 489 lbs with integrated steering. My original 175TXRT is 419 lbs, but I also have a steering ram for a combined 439 lbs.

Essentially, I gain about 50lbs either way, be it F150 or F200, and there are test showing the F200 delivers better MPG than the F150 on the same boat. I may as well get more power and a better power to weight ratio.

My real decision is to rebuild the 175 2 stroke and keep that low end zip, or buy a new 200 4 stroke for the efficiency and quiet operation. I'd hate to spend $17K on a new 4 stroke and then regret losing low speed acceleration, for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: MashpeeMan

seasick

Reaction score
I would opt for the 200hp I4. The extra weight of the F150 and the reduction in power will be noticeable I think The 50 or so pounds isn't going to be a big issue as ling as there is space right now between the scuppers and the water leveI would feel less comfortable with the F150.
What is the hulls max HP certification? Note that you will also reduce the weight by removing the oil tank and oil ( whether or not that will cause a list is a question I can' answer)

Reactions: tech_dog

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I would opt for the 200hp I4. The extra weight of the F150 and the reduction in power will be noticeable I think The 50 or so pounds isn't going to be a big issue as ling as there is space right now between the scuppers and the water level would feel less comfortable with the F150.
What is the hulls max HP certification? Note that you will also reduce the weight by removing the oil tank and oil ( whether or not that will cause a list is a question I can' answer)
The 1995 192 was rated up to 200hp on the transom. The 1995 Yamaha 200TXRT weighed in at 410, 9 lbs less than the 175TXRT, so it's not offering me a lot of weight headroom.

I didn't back out the weight of the oil tank because the Yams are listed at dry weight. I figure the oil will just move from under the seat to under the cowling. The F200's oil capacity is about 5 quarts, vs the current external tank of a couple gallons. It might save a few pounds, depending on how full that external tank is, and if it does introduce a list I'm sure I can compensate by rearranging some gear.

I've seen head to head tests of 2 vs. 4 stroke at the same HP, and it's usually the 2 stroke that wins the performance comparisons. The 175TXRT has been a great engine and I'm pulling up on 30 years training on expected performance. I think it will take a 200 4 stroke to just match the acceleration I've grown to appreciate, my top speed will go up from 47 to 52ish, and I'll get 5ish mpg, maybe even better.

Thanks for the input.

Braeden514

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I recently bought a 1994 192 with 2013 Yamaha F200XB and love it. I bought the boat off my father-in-law and he made the change to 200hp about 10 years ago. I can’t speak to how it preformed with the original 150hp, but the 200hp has a lot of pickup and go.

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpeg
    IMG_0577.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: tech_dog

tech_dog

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
That looks like a great setup, but it also looks noticeably lower at the transom compared to my 192 with a 175TXRT.

I thought I had Yamaha model numbers all figured out, but apparently I don't. Is that a V6 200? I didn't think the inline 4 200 went back that far.

Thanks very much for your feedback,

T.

lawmarin

Reaction score
I've got a 1995 Grady Tournament 192 with a Yamaha 175TXRT two stroke. I'm thinking about going to the new Yamaha F200XB at about 40 extra lbs after backing out the external steering.

Has anyone else made a similar change, going from the V6 2-stroke to the I4 4-stroke in a 19-20 Grady? I'm expecting a slightly better top speed, lower fuel burn, less noise, and less smoke, but it's harder to quantify the overall boat performance.

What are your observations on hole shot, overall acceleration, noise, bow squat, and real MPG differences? I've been happy with my old TXRT and have to admit I'm not sure if the F200 would match the overall performance of the hefty 2-stroke.

Thanks,

T.
look at the Suzuki 200 4cyl ........ or better a Merc V6 200 4stk/seapro lightest 4stks for your ap

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
unless you are pulling skiers out of the water every time you go out, how much does the initial acceleration matter? typically, you accelerate for a few seconds then cruise for hours. id always trade off hole shot for good cruise. if it still does matter to you, just prop the 4 stroke to achieve what you want.

also, 50 lbs is not much in the big picture. its like a small kid or less than 8 gallons, or one extra battery. get the 200 4stroke and enjoy it

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
When I'm running WOT in my (2001) 192 and doing approximately 40 mph I personally feel that's plenty fast for that boat. With the Tohatsu 140 4 stroke I'm getting the power I want and I'm finding that I'm burning WAY less fuel than I was with the Yami two stroke 150 HPDI. I mean like literally half the fuel... and I always thought the consumption with the Yami was fine, but this is noticeably better.

I cruise easily on plane at 3200-3800 rpm in the low to mid 20 mph range. And my scuppers are now easily above the water-line at anchor (they were lower with the Yami 150 with its additional 50-75 lbs to the point I'd get water backing up into the boat at anchor).

I'm very pleased that I spoke with a factory rep. from GW (which my dealer urged me to do before re-powering) and I'd suggest that anybody thinking of re-powering do the same. The rep. was extremely helpful (and as I've posted previously, she was adamant that I go with the lightest motor possible that would do the job for me on my particular boat with the 2001 model year). I don't think there's necessarily a wrong answer here if the high end speed is a critical factor... then you'll have to go with more HP and weight (and deal with the scuppers if you need to). But I'm extremely happy that I followed the advice of the factory rep. and it's worked perfectly for me and the boating I do (mostly cruising but I could easily pull a tube/skier with this setup).