were to get replacement switch panel?

lime4x4

Reaction score
I would like to replace my current switch panel with a more modern looking one and with back lighting.
IMG_20131020_112955_294.jpg

Reactions: Fuzz

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Try here I had a great expierence with New Wire Marine...it works flawlessly, was easy to install (30 mins).very reasonably priced, and u can customize anything really

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20050

lime4x4

Reaction score
I'mgonna have new wire make me a new panel. I just have to decide if having back lighting is worth the extra 100 bucks...lol

lime4x4

Reaction score
I've decided to have the back lighting added as well. There also gonna make me a new gauge panel as well. I went with the carbon fiber look. I'll post pics when i get the new panels

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'll be curious to see how that looks when it's all done!

For mine, at least for now, I'm just going to repaint the panel and use new labels (a set of 60 is about $10). I have an overhead LED light that I just bought that has both white and red, so hopefully the red will be enough to read the labels w/o affecting night vision.

lime4x4

Reaction score
On mine alot of the switches weren't working right (corrosion). I made my own switch panel for the searay which turned out ok but no back lighting and took most of the winter to get it done.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, I know what you mean about the time involved in doing that. When you look at the price that New Wire charges... Kinda makes it hard NOT to buy from them!

I've contemplated an entirely new panel, too. I think if I did that I would scrub the old style fuses in favor of a fuse panel that would be mounted in a different location to free up panel space for more switches.

lime4x4

Reaction score
The new switch panel will have built in circuit breakers instead of the individual glass fuses. Currently my switch panel is feed by a 12 gauge wire from the battery switch that is fused with a 40 amp circuit breaker. I beleive i'm at around 500 bucks from new wire. that includes a 10 switches, 10 circuit breakers, back lighting, 4 usb charging ports, the panel and a new panel for the gauges. it was an extra 100 bucks for the back lighting. I think it was a very fair price plus it will already be prewired ready to go.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your gonna be happy with your order. It really cleans up the look, I wish I had done my gauge panel, I'll put it on the list. Working with new wire was great :goodjob

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Oh yeah that's great!! I but your pumped to get that installed..I like the back lighting :)

lime4x4

Reaction score
Don't u just hate when you think u got every thing figured then u change your mind... After getting the switch panel made up i bought a hardtop for the boat so that meant adding more lights. Didn't think about that when i had the main panel made up. So i had to have another panel made up..

20140312_212907.jpg

coffeydp

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What did you do with mistake, first panel? For sale?

Last edited:

Norcoastal

Reaction score
I ordered one from New Wire yesterday. I can’t wait to see it and install it.

coffeydp

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah I was looking at them. Boats not near me. Do you remember the dimension you used? I have this same pane and want to redo it as well.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
This is what I ordered.

I‘m praying I got it right...

Fuzz

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
This is what I ordered.

I‘m praying I got it right...

I would like to replace my current switch panel with a more modern looking one and with back lighting.
IMG_20131020_112955_294.jpg
To anyone else looking at doing this...I just went through the dance over the past two weeks trying to decide a course of action.
As others have said, New Wire Marine for the win. I ended up not going to a custom panel due to the $$$ being better spent elsewhere (recovering my coaming bolsters and adding two removable cushions to livewell and fishbox tops trumped that).
For my ‘87 Gulfstream, the 16 switch panel blank is a direct replacement for the original. 10.75”L x 6.75” W if memory serves. I may have to shave it a hair, but it is within a 1/8” , and thinner than starboard, so should still allow my acrylic splashguard to still close.
Look at their stock blank sizes. I was going to use breakers in their own Blue Sea enclosure, but after toying with the sizes of the blank panels, ended up with them on the panel.
Adding switches, breakers, charger (lighter) holes, etc. changes the dimensions slightly. Have a look. You may be able to find a near perfect fit with CNC precision without having to fool with the starboard route. Now...if I can just figure out a DIY backlighting scheme.

Reactions: PointedRose

seasick

Reaction score
If your loads draw anywhere near your breaker rating , your feed wire gauge is way too small. A short run of 12G (10 feet or so round trip) can handle about 15 amps continuous.
Note too, that a larger cable size for the 12 volts adds nothing (but possible risk) if it is larger than the main ground cable feeding the buss/switch panel