What am I missing

Pighunter

Reaction score
I recently switched out my fuse box on my 228 I also had to replace a switch on the dome light now everything is working great except I can’t fig out the spreader lights. I'm posting a picture of the wires coming out of the dome light I was certain they go to the spreader lights but theirs no continuity between them and the lights.
I must be missing something here. I just looked at the picture and it's not very good. Let me say I'm a new owner of this boat and I never even tried the lights before.
Do the wires from the lights go to the switch panel or up to the overhead counsel?

Attachments

• 1820CE79-10F5-425D-BD77-760D9F23CC95.jpeg
    1820CE79-10F5-425D-BD77-760D9F23CC95.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • F1F8AAEE-0A59-4FCB-AA5F-C539E35F86E9.jpeg
    F1F8AAEE-0A59-4FCB-AA5F-C539E35F86E9.jpeg
    805.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm guessing you may have wired it incorrectly. There is a single power and return used for both dome and spreader. Usually each has it's own switch. The switch for the dome is a lower amperage (2A I believe) while the switch for the spreader is (10A I believe). On 2000 forward boats both switches are on the dome light. They could be on the dash or elsewhere as well. I think you should trace the wires back to the switches and see what is going on.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

seasick

Reaction score
Are you saying that you do't know if the lights worked before your panel replacement and in addition you don't know what had to be done to turn them on? If that is the case, there isn't much that can be done just looking at your fuse block.
Post the year of the hull and ask is someone with the same model year can tell you how their spreader lights work and go from there.

Pighunter

Reaction score
Are you saying that you do't know if the lights worked before your panel replacement and in addition you don't know what had to be done to turn them on? If that is the case, there isn't much that can be done just looking at your fuse block.
Post the year of the hull and ask is someone with the same model year can tell you how their spreader lights work and go from there.
I bought the boat last June. I was able to make the lights go on one time with the switch in dome light but never again. A few months ago I changed out the fuse panel have never been able to power them again. The picture I posted I was trying to show the 3 wires coming up from the dome light. I also just replace the spreader light switch in dome light. I'm having a hard time tracing the wires from the lights through hard top tubes.
Year of boat in Signature

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just redid my fuse panel on my 228 last week and trying to do this from memory...

Coming from that dome light there are two power wires and 1 ground that go to the panel. There must be a splice as there is another wire that comes from there and goes to a spade connector that then runs outside of the hardtop....

Attachments

• D3064C86-9709-4305-B83E-1DC8ADFC657C.jpeg
    D3064C86-9709-4305-B83E-1DC8ADFC657C.jpeg
    700.8 KB · Views: 3

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I also redid my upper fuse panel on my 228 last week. I thought I had a pic of the wiring inside the e-box, but only had a close up to show the connections. Mine is different, in that my dome is red/white/off, and I have a toggle switch to the left of the e-box door for spreader on/off.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, I have red/ on/ off but don’t think I have a stand alone switch for the spreader lights. Now you got me second guessing but I do know the dome switch controls my spreader lights

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I recently switched out my fuse box on my 228 I also had to replace a switch on the dome light now everything is working great except I can’t fig out the spreader lights. I'm posting a picture of the wires coming out of the dome light I was certain they go to the spreader lights but theirs no continuity between them and the lights.
I must be missing something here. I just looked at the picture and it's not very good. Let me say I'm a new owner of this boat and I never even tried the lights before.
Do the wires from the lights go to the switch panel or up to the overhead counsel?

On mine the dark blue wire connects to the light blue that then runs out of the box.

Are you sureyou didn’t cut off the wrong terminal? Does the light blue wire leave the box?

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's more than likely the switch. Those things stick a lot and are prone to intermittent operation. You can try cycling it about 20X and see if you can work whatever is internal free but likely you need a new pushbutton switch. There are threads that detail what to get on the forum from Digikey.

Pighunter

Reaction score
On mine the dark blue wire connects to the light blue that then runs out of the box.

Are you sureyou didn’t cut off the wrong terminal? Does the light blue wire leave the box?
When the sun comes up I'll go out and check this out.

Pighunter

Reaction score
It's more than likely the switch. Those things stick a lot and are prone to intermittent operation. You can try cycling it about 20X and see if you can work whatever is internal free but likely you need a new pushbutton switch. There are threads that detail what to get on the forum from Digikey.
I ordered and replaced the switch already.

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
My thought was the switch too. You should be able to bridge the connections on the back of the switch to bypass it and apply power.
Also check the fuse with a multimeter. Sometimes they look ok but aren't

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You got solid advice here. I replaced that push button switch 2 or 3 times over a few years ownership and said, screw it and bought an OEM Grady LED touch light for courtesy and spreader . It was like $145 but to me well worth it and traded the halogen spreaders for LED. The current draw is significantly less.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I switched to the same light as SmokyMtnGrady,,,, so it's his fault I spent that kind of money on a light. I do like the light though.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you want, run new wires. You've done the fuse box, the light/switch. The wire should be fairly easy to fish. Work from the light end with a snake and pull a new wire. Could it be your lights?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Well, at this point if they don't it's time to run new wire! It's all that is left. Good luck and take some pics when you get this sorted.

Reactions: Pighunter