What anti-fowling paint are you using?

Thor's Outlaw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello all, New 2002 228 owner here. This will be my first wet slipped boat and the boat was bottom painted previously.

However, previous owner had the boat dry stored the last 2 years and the bottom paint is all chipping off. My plan is to scrap all the loose paint off and repaint for now to salvage the rest of the boating season here on Long Island.

In researching, i'm seeing that some bottom paints cannot be used on my engine bracket? Does anyone have any other insight on this? Makes sense because my boats current bottom paint is black, whereas below the water line on the bracket is painted white. Also, how many coats is too many?

The bottom paint on my boat is thick but does not seem excessive to me, is there a "rule of thumb" when the paint needs to be stripped because of added weight before a new layer can be laid on?

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
im not sure that added weight of bottom paint would be an issue. even if they used 10 gallons of paint over the years, it would be less than 70 lbs of wet paint, likely lighter when dry.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Color is not a factor when it comes to whether or not it can be used on your bracket (or any metal, for that matter). The key is whether or not it has copper in it. Copper is no bueno for metal - you'd end with dissimilar metals and that can cause corrosion. Look for an "Eco" paint such as Pettit HydroCoat Eco or Sea Hawk's version. There are others - but I know those are good from experience. I use the Eco on my whole boat (and bracket) to make it easy so as to only have to worry about one kind of paint.

Reactions: Thor's Outlaw

seasick

Reaction score
I have used and continue to experiment with antifoul paints for the motor mounting bracket as well as the trim/tilt pump parts below the waterline. I have had some luck with Pettit Alumaspray I think it's called in spray cans. It it comes in grey or black. There is no clear option. It helps reduce growth and barnacles but no where near as well as the bottom paints do.
I have tries Trilux 33 clear in a spray. It just does not work well at all and I gave up on it. I have not tried trilux 33 non aerosol but I have heard that it works. It comes in colors.
I have not tried any of the newer biocide paints like Pettit HRT . It comes in spray cans as well as regular cans. I will probably try it in the future.
Be aware that your bottom paint if it contains copper should not even touch the motor bracket, That can be enough exposure to allow some electrolysis to occur, Tape off the motor bracket and leave a small gap around the bracket. It is OK to get some of the biocide antifouling paint on the copper based bottom paint. For various reasons, my boats have sat at the dock, idle for a larger percentage of the season.
On both boats when hauled, there is little to no barnacle growth on the hull. There is slime of course. There are barnacles and worms on the motor brackets. Not terrible but not great.

The transducers which I paint with 3 coats of MDR transducer paints do get barnacles and I have to scrub them several times during the season to keep them working up to par. They also require the most barnacle scraping after haul out in the fall.

I have used Hydrocoat as my bottom paint for a long time. Prior to that I used Interlux Micron . I like Micron better for the way it applies but after trying the Hydrocoat paint that is water based, I can never go back to non water based paint. It doesn't smell as bad and clean up of tools and your body is easy.
The Pettit Hydrocoat can be tricky to apply correctly. Read and follow the instructions and do not apply it in thick coats. More is not better. It took me several years to understand the best way to use it.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have been using hydrocoat on the bottom of my boats for years. Works very well, and easy to work with. I do the water line, the bow and touch up every year. otherwise, I get a couple years on most of the bottom. I have switched to hydrocoat eco for the engine brackets which has worked better than any spray can paint I have tried from any of the manufactures(petit, interlux).

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I switched to Petitt hydroco.at about 7 years ago and think it is a much better paint for keeping marine growthat bay. Most of extreme buildup that I experienced has gradually disappeared over the years including chipping and peeling. I also find that power washing the bottom is a lot more effective than it was before using hydrcoat. Not cheap but a good paint and it is water clean up.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have used and continue to experiment with antifoul paints for the motor mounting bracket as well as the trim/tilt pump parts below the waterline. I have had some luck with Pettit Alumaspray I think it's called in spray cans. It it comes in grey or black. There is no clear option. It helps reduce growth and barnacles but no where near as well as the bottom paints do.
I have tries Trilux 33 clear in a spray. It just does not work well at all and I gave up on it. I have not tried trilux 33 non aerosol but I have heard that it works. It comes in colors.
I have not tried any of the newer biocide paints like Pettit HRT . It comes in spray cans as well as regular cans. I will probably try it in the future.
Be aware that your bottom paint if it contains copper should not even touch the motor bracket, That can be enough exposure to allow some electrolysis to occur, Tape off the motor bracket and leave a small gap around the bracket. It is OK to get some of the biocide antifouling paint on the copper based bottom paint. For various reasons, my boats have sat at the dock, idle for a larger percentage of the season.
On both boats when hauled, there is little to no barnacle growth on the hull. There is slime of course. There are barnacles and worms on the motor brackets. Not terrible but not great.

The transducers which I paint with 3 coats of MDR transducer paints do get barnacles and I have to scrub them several times during the season to keep them working up to par. They also require the most barnacle scraping after haul out in the fall.

I have used Hydrocoat as my bottom paint for a long time. Prior to that I used Interlux Micron . I like Micron better for the way it applies but after trying the Hydrocoat paint that is water based, I can never go back to non water based paint. It doesn't smell as bad and clean up of tools and your body is easy.
The Pettit Hydrocoat can be tricky to apply correctly. Read and follow the instructions and do not apply it in thick coats. More is not better. It took me several years to understand the best way to use it.
Scrap the spray paint stuff - you'll be MUCH happier with a brush on. Try the Hydrocoat Eco I mentioned.

For anyone reading this... be SURE you have mixed it well. Even if it was "shaken" for you - mix it by hand (or with drill power mixer) until there is NOTHING left on the bottom. It's not regular paint where it mixes easily ;)

seasick

Reaction score
Scrap the spray paint stuff - you'll be MUCH happier with a brush on. Try the Hydrocoat Eco I mentioned.

For anyone reading this... be SURE you have mixed it well. Even if it was "shaken" for you - mix it by hand (or with drill power mixer) until there is NOTHING left on the bottom. It's not regular paint where it mixes easily ;)
Yes, mixing well is critical and you need to remix as you work. As mentioned, the thickness of the coat is also important. Pettit now recommends a 3/16 in nap roller. Small ones are hard yo find in box stores. Full width 3/16 nap can also be tough. I do not use foam rollers.

Thor's Outlaw

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks everyone! How is Totalboat stuff? Looking at JD Select Ablative for the hull and their copper free "alumapaint AF" Ablative for the bracket.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks everyone! How is Totalboat stuff? Looking at JD Select Ablative for the hull and their copper free "alumapaint AF" Ablative for the bracket.
I have never used it. But if you don't want to take a chance, why not just use something that's a "known" good like the Hydrocoat ECO a couple of us have mentioned? This is used by some very well known boat manufacturer's, as well.

seasick

Reaction score
I have never used it. But if you don't want to take a chance, why not just use something that's a "known" good like the Hydrocoat ECO a couple of us have mentioned? This is used by some very well known boat manufacturer's, as well.
On the other hand, you can use the TotalBoat and let us know how well it works!.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
On the other hand, you can use the TotalBoat and let us know how well it works!.
I like guinea pigs... especially when they're not me!

That said, I'm sure it would be fine.

BUT... the BEST AF paint to use... is the same one that others in the area (with similar rigs) have been using with good results.