What are the water gauges for? 1990 GW Sailfish 252

dvroty

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So I’m new to the GW’s....I have two water gauges on the dash that read 0-30. Neither one works, as the needle never moves even when the engines are on. What do the gauges read? All they say is “Water”. Anyone else have these gauges? Each gauge has a small rubber hose attached to the back of it. According to my owners manual, these gauges don’t exist for my boat so I haven’t had any luck there. I believe my boat has a 35 gallon fresh water tank, be nice if these measured water level in it

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
If they are hooked up they show the water pressure of your outboards.

I installed a pair on my last boat as my prior boat had them and I like the info. My experience with them is loosen the mount and rotate the gauge so the needle is pointing straight up when the boat is in plane and the water pumps are fresh.

This way you can tell at a glance if you picked up a trash bag around the lower or if the pump somehow failed. The hose is probably disconnected at the fitting you'll see when you drop the lower unit. Ask if you need more help.

nodima

Reaction score
Agree they are the water pressure gauges for the outboards. One other thing is that they often are not maintained, so that if you store boat in a freezing environment, the hose will split due to force of ice, and/or break the gauge. For this reason it is a good idea to disconnect at the gauge and blow air through to the engine when winterizing - if this applies to you.

dvroty

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks guys, thinking you are right cause it does have twin outboards. I’m gonna try to get a brake bleeder suction on the end of the lines and see if they’re clogged or cracked