What are this plastic rings.

devildogdad

Reaction score
2012 Marlin 300. I can't figure out what these round rings are. there are four approx 5 inch diameter rings located just behind the toe rail. I you look hard at the photos, there is a solid one on the starboard side and just under the hose there is an open one on the front starboard side. there is a matched set on port side. I cant figure out what they are for. Any help please.
P7230043.jpg

P7230039.jpg

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
rodholders. if there is no hole, that means there is something behind the bulkhead that they don't want you to hit with a rod tip or butt. good luck with he new ride, ron

devildogdad

Reaction score
the rod holders are the vertical cut outs, i know what they are. look close under the white hose, you will see a round horizontal ring behind the toe rail. this is what i am talking about. if you look hard at the other photo by the stern, there is a solid round circle behind the toe rail that is horizontal and right behind the rail. not a rod holder.

Fishtales

Reaction score
agree with Gulfsea. Put a drink in there (big enough when using a koozie) when you hook up.

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Those plastic rings are for your downrigger weights. You can put them in there so they don't roll around in the cockpit they can cause a lot of damage if they get loose. My Sailfish has them too. I used to have a Penn downrigger and the 10 lb weight ball fit in there perfectly.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine are screwed to the toe rail. I thought they were cup holders. Killer ride, what is she topping out at? Let's hear some numbers.

devildogdad

Reaction score
I am still in the early break in period on the engines so I am avoiding WOT at the moment.

Ride is very mcuh improved over last boat. My last boat was a 26 ft Triton CC. Amazing what 4 feet longer and 4000 lbs heavier will do to improve a rid.

DaleH

Reaction score
devildogdad said:
Amazing what 4 feet longer and 4000 lbs heavier will do to improve a ride.

...never mind to the wallet $$ :jaw !

:wink:

SteveS

Reaction score
They are cup holders. Not strong enough to be downriggerweight holders. Grady puts these cup holders near the seats.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wow - had 3 Grady's over the last 25 years and always thought they were dring holders - never though of down rigger balls - Great boat! good Luck

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wanna hear how that baby runs. Are they 300's devil? Keep us current with performance developments. Be interesting to see if she performs as advertised.

devildogdad

Reaction score
Yes they are twin 300's. Last weekend was small craft advisory. this weekend not looking much better. So far all I have done is get things set up and sit in it wishing the weather was better.

those rings look very large for cup holders, but no reason not to use them for that. I still need to do the 10 hour Yamaha break in before I can give numbers.

the grouper season will be closed by the time the weather clears down here. :bang

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think you both are right....

The solid one on each side toward the aft can be downrigger ball holders or drink holders.
The lighter ring shaped ones towards the front of the cockpit are drink holders.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
I think you both are right....

The solid one on each side toward the aft can be downrigger ball holders or drink holders.
The lighter ring shaped ones towards the front of the cockpit are drink holders.

Yeah, that. I wouldn't set my 12# downrigger balls in the fronts, but we frequently set gatorade/water bottles in those. I think they were too narrower for most wine bottles, but I do believe we fit a nice reisling in one a few weks ago...

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The front ones are definitely drink holders. The aft ones are for out rigger balls. I have a 2005 Marlin. The Marlins are nice rides. Curious to see numbers on your 300's both fuel and performance. Thanks

Reel Shady

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
resurrecting this.. Im looking to replace the two drink holders in the photo - that are screwed to the toe rail. they broke because someone thought they were for downrigger balls! anyone know if any are made by 3rd party vendors?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On my Seafarer, I use the cup holders to hold the 10lb down rigger balls :cool:.