What are you paying for insurance?

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Right at 2K for 6 pack coverage through Chubb. May - Oct in the marina.

As an aside, only another boat or the CG for towing out of Garibaldi, OR. Just not enough business for a private company. I towed a boat in from 10 miles on the calmest of days once. They rammed a log, lost their outdrive. Just be aware of liability if you decide to help and tow someone.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just priced a policy for a 2004 257 with a stated value of 45k. It stays on a trailer in Florida. With 500 deductible the coverage was $1,100 from Geico (through Boat US) and $1,250 with Progressive (through USAA).

I also have a 2003 Gulfstream which is kept in Maryland (same stated value and coverage) and the insurance is $495 per year.

For some reason Florida is VERY expensive.

Would you share where in Florida and who your agent is?

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
~$400 per year w geico/BoatUS $8,000 agreed upon value for my ‘84 overnighter (with ‘02 engine) and trailer. They consider years of boat ownership, years of boat operating, driving history, location, etc.

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Just bought a 2000 263 Chase a few wks ago and went through this. $25k agreed value, $4k trailer, on trailer year-round. 300k liability / medical / uninsured. Unlimited on-water towing, $2k deductible on boat, $500 trailer. $998 / yr through Safeco (via NBOA)

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Where are you located Drew ? That premium is quite high for that rating unit and coverage. Are you the only listed driver ?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
This is my Boat/US Declaration page. Price actually went down $51 this year.
They are not the lowest price out there but several cheaper companies had limits on INSURANCE coverage specified at 60nm or 75nm.
Some had an add on charge for longer range and others didn't give me a good answer...
I go past 75nm several times a season.
Geico Boat/US insurance covers all coastal and inland waters in the US and Canada. Their definition of coastal US is in the ocean and not in another country's territorial waters(ie Bahamas/Bermuda/Cuba/Mexico)
Also, other companies TOW coverage was a limited $ amount paid to towing company.
The Boat/US policy with Towing endorsement is TOWBoat/US unlimited coverage in service area (which is out to 75 miles)
In the declaration below you see $3000. That is coverage for anything outside TOWBoat/US service area or by other than TOWBoat/US (This is confirmed in the Towing Endorsement page)

I also had problems getting quotes for Agreed value at $60K when I added new motors.
Online quotes for Progressive and others kept limiting at $24k and it took multiple phone calls to get a quote.

In the end I opted for Boat/US for the Towing and the range and not having to go back & forth over the phone.
And the Boat/US membership gives me Gold rewards at West Marine and 10 cents/gallon off gas.

***There is a difference between this policy towing and the regular TOWBoat/US Unlimited that you can buy for $165.
This policy only covers the INSURED vessel. A regular TOWBoat/US Unlimted covers the buyer on whatever vessel they are operating.

BoatUS declaration 2021.jpg

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just an FYI ... when the policy has a limitation on offshore travel IE. 75 nm
Check with the insurer and ask. That should mean 75 nm straight out from the nearest land mass, not necessarily from the port. Occasionally we run to the Norfolk which is 80 plus from OCMD however we are still within the stated 75 nm limitations of the policy

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Just an FYI ... when the policy has a limitation on offshore travel IE. 75 nm
Check with the insurer and ask. That should mean 75 nm straight out from the nearest land mass, not necessarily from the port. Occasionally we run to the Norfolk which is 80 plus from OCMD however we are still within the stated 75 nm limitations of the policy
yep, unfortunately for me anything past the Elbow of the Hudson canyon is more than 75nm from nearest (Fire Island,NY)
Toms Canyon is just pushing 75 nm from Barnegat,NJ
South of there all the way down past NC the canyons are inside 75nm

I guess I need to move south...:rolleyes:

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I here ya ... always loved fishing out of NC.

Also liked those hamburgers at Frankies Restaurant in Point Pleasant !