What can a gulf stream take

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
How rough of seas can the gulfstream take?? I realize it depends on the captain. I am concerned about taking my family out 30 miles and getting stuck in rough seas. I repowered her with twin 225 ox66. Tops out around 50, Cruises around 33, better be setting down when you take off. She is avery strong little boat, How strong are they???? Very happy with it but do not want to over step my boundaries. I feel she would handle ten foot seas???

65aircooled

Reaction score
Subscribed, I am trying to educate myself on the Gulf Stream because I want to upgrade to one in a year or so. I didn't think you could hang so much power off that transom. What is the max hp and weight rating on them?
I always thought even 6' waves would be a bit much for a 22-23' boat. I've been to 4' stuff 10 miles from shore an it wasn't pretty, I doubt it'd be much different in a gulfy. Curious to hear what others have to say.

Clockwork

Reaction score
A lot. But everyones interpretation varies. Imo 4 footers on that boat are nothing but some guys are not comfortable in those conditions. I have been in seas over 10ft and regularly in 6 footers with my much smaller overnighter and although you gotta go slow and will get a major beating, I never felt unsafe. My frequent time in rough seas made up my mind to upsize to a sailfish 25 which is just like your boat plus 2ft.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
I am trying to educate on the gulfstream as well. My other boats are very easy. 23 ft bay boat, 340 sea ray, ski nautique. Ten foot waves a joke? Not really I do not plan on going out in ten foot swells but if 50 miles out stuck in a storm will she make it?(currently looking for a used life raft) The over power was because the motors that were on it were done. Paid seven for the boat did not want to pay 30 gs for new motors on a twenty year old boat worth 18,000.(if investing that kind of $ would go for newer and bigger) Found the twins in good shape put 8 grand with guages ect. The weight is not a issue on two strokes, power is up the driver. Got 21 pitch props. The motors should last a long time with good maintenance. I found the torque fun and boat boat enjoyable for a family of five to go fishing for a day.(with family staying closer to shore 5-10 miles until we gain confidence in the boat)

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I'm 25-30 miles offshore very often in 6'+ seas in my 228G, never have a worry, I can still manage 20 mph head on and much faster following, of course I back off at times when you get a few short and sharp ones.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Way more than you and the crew can...... :doh You are joking right????? :hmm

that is a very stable platform and a great fishing boat. I know I fished on a friends gulfstream for several years and was always impressed with the boat.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This is too subjective a question to answer. As mentioned several times above, different people have different comfort and tolerance levels.
In my opinion, here are the important points to be made.
1.) The Skill Of The Operator. I know captains whom I would go out with in 8 footers. I also know captains( in name only) whom I would not venture anywhere with.
2.)The Motivation To Go. Personally, I don't care if I ever catch a fish the rest of my life. With others, it is a passion and they will take on incredibly rough conditions to pull in the big one and it doesn't bother them. My Gulfstream will probably take more than I am willing to. If the wind is 15kts or over and the seas are above 2 feet, I stay home. That isn't fun so I don't go. That doesn't mean the boat won't handle them.
3.) Perception And The Exaggeration In The Re-telling.. Everyone's estimate of waves are different and folks may honestly disagree. Wave heights are like fish. Add a few beers and they grow with each re-telling of the story. Most experienced captains that I talk to say people overestimate wave height

Swell Or Chop..A six foot groundswell with a 5-7 second duration is doable in a bass boat. A 6 ft. wind driven steep wave is a bad animal. These are totally different conditions.

Bottom Line..If the conditions look too rough to go out in, or raise doubt in your mind, they probably are.

Reactions: Koakine88

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
great answer thanks, I was wondering a what point are you in trouble. The sea can change quickly despite a perfect forecast . I have no prob fishing when the seas are 4-6 but would prefer 2-4 if we are burning gas. 4-6 are not much fun. The gulf stream is a great boat but she does have her limits even with a great captain

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Your welcome. Enjoy the boat. It's the biggest 23' out there.

HMBJack

Reaction score
The dimensions of the Gulfstream are excellent. It's wide beam makes it a standout. It's relatively short length however will hinder it in large, choppy, head seas where it will pound. This is because the waterline length cannot "bridge" between the wave peaks like a longer hull will do. That said, it's a great all around boat. So long as it's not overloaded or caught abeam of a really big wave (often in shallow water), it will safely "take" much more than the crew can withstand.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a Gulfstream with a single 225 - we used to take it from South of Boston to Nantucket which is over 50 miles - and routinely 25-30 miles out fishing - Like others have said you have to pick your day or days. If you are caught in rough water the boat will get you home but it is going to be a long slow ride - I can honestly say I never felt like I was in water that the boat could not handle - the only drawback I had on my model was that the single 225 was a bit underpowered in rough seas with a crew and gear. Enjoy it - great boat

gradydriver

Reaction score
The gulfstream will take bigger sea's than your crew will be able to stand.....that being said there is no reason to subject them to it.....with today's weather channels and electronics there is no reason a storm should be able to "sneak up on you"....if you're going offshore and have not researched what weather you are going to run into....shame on you....if there is a chance of storms, maybe we stay in....I like going boating & fishing....but I love coming home from boating & fishing....I doubt very seriously if many of you have ever been in actual 10 to 14 foot seas in a boat under 25 feet...because if you had....you would make damn sure it didn't happen again....been there done that, not fun. :bang

Finatic

Reaction score
The Gulfstream is a great boat and like others have said it will probably take more of a beating than your crew is willing to endure. I regularly run mine to the canyons of the mid-atlantic (50 plus miles). There have been a few occasions where I've been much further inshore and decided to turn around because of a blown forecast. Remember there is no fish worth endangering your crew over. Good luck with Gulfstream. It's a beast.

Brigator

Reaction score
Wow. I have a 1994 Gulfstream with yamaha 4stroke 150s on the back. Badass boat. I have been in some stuff. Had a head sea where the pulpit was punching through the top of the waves. I often go out in 2-3 foot seas and the boat will cruise at 25 mphs and I dont spill my beer. :)

Be safe. Carry an EPRIB, VHF and know your limits. Dont worry about the boats limits..Grady over built them. A comment on the power. The new ones are rated for 400hp and the old ones are 350. I talked to Grady when I was repowering and they told be that the torque of the higher hp motors will twist the stringers. It was not a weight issue.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Well friends they on it will just have to be easy on her. I never thought of twisting the stringers,(makes sense) there is alot of resistance getting on plane. They are 225 but are 206 hp at the props. I put 21 pitch props on. It tops out at 48 cruises nice at 30. If I had to do it again I would of put 150 -200 on it. I found a used six person avon raft for the piece of mind and there is no reason to be caught in a storm but things do happen(better to have a game plan). Saw on news coast guard received four distress calls thurs night. Sailboats caught in storm off Nc coast and Va coast. I really do appreciate everyones impute. I hopefully will never push her limits. Going to take it to Manasota Key Fl for thanksgiving week hope weather is decent and the fish are hungry.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't like heavy seas it makes fishing uncomfortable. I use to do lots of comps and you don't have choice on the weather . It is what it is when the comp is on. Back then I had my old 228, no hardtop so she was much lighter and more stable without the weight up top. A bit older now , heavier boat, retired so I can pick my days and only do 2 comps per year.
I have been in some very heavy seas in both boats , never felt in any danger but always in contact with Marine rescue and have all safety equipment including EPIRB , 2 VHF radios ( it is a requirement for comps here) , sat phone etc..
3 foot at 5 seconds are fine heading out square on them trim in make sure the boat is level. distribute weight so boat is level to start with and only then use tab so you are level. trim in enough so the boat slices rather than jump. I would say I would sit on 20+knots and may have to back off every now and then on the bigger closer together waves. You will use more fuel but it is only gas and only costs money , who cares. 6 foot and 5 seconds is a bastard to head out in however 6 foot and 9-10 second is fine .
On the way back we always have seas behind us as long as they are dead square trim up and ride then , I would say 25 knots there but again boat must be level, never trim in on following seas and avoid using tab , use very little to lever if you have to.
On heavy seas at comps I would follow a 45 footer out as they flattening the sea for you .

Last edited:

Gradywhiteonthehorizon

Reaction score
11755 3rd Street E Treasure Island, FL33706
Model
Seafarer
Go it. I ran out to the blue water with nne’s 10-20 knots for the blue water’s running west . When got to my waypoints, I found myself spending more time dealing with conditions than fishing. I have a hardtop and bobbed around some. I tacked it back in. Didn’t want the waves square on. Took a little longer as expected . Got to the 3 ft seas, trimmed up and rode the wave tops to the inner coastal waters. I like how she runs. A little finicky with the steering when running at little to fast and hard. All in all, you got to see how she likes to run in different circumstances. I think I‘ll keep this little lady for the long haul. Solid as a tank with a great personality.