What can it take?

Guido19

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I have a Chase 263 with twin 150HP- I'm relatively new to venturing out into the Ocean. What kind of seas can a boat like this handle? I realize I'm the limiting factor, but if I got caught what will it take. Should I be concerned going out in 2 to 3? Novice question I'm sure- I just don't want to get myself in trouble. Thanks!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In 2 to 3, in that boat, comfort is more of a concern than safety, but you can still get beat up. Download an app like WINDFINDER, install a bunch of local spots, inshore and off the beach, and study the relationship between wave height and interval. On the ocean side today, Atlantic Beach Pier, the waves are only 3 to 4, but they are coming every 4 to 5 seconds. That will beat you to death. Tomorrow is not much better, but look at Thursday until 5pm. 2.5 to 3.5 waves still, but 8,9, 10 seconds apart. That is very doable, and fishable. But, you can’t fall in love with one source. If you check other apps, like WINDALERT or FISHWEATHER, they don’t show Thursday to be as good as WINDFINDER does. If you are fighting the helm, you won't be fighting fish. At 71, I pick my days. To me, in a 22 foot dual console, that means the interval is at least 2 1/2 times the wave height. Luckily, I am on an island, so if the ocean is too rough, the sound is usually boatable.CDF9A6D7-211C-45BC-8FD6-17B16642F317.png830EB9A0-1894-4B79-A442-F4364F811949.png

Last edited:

Guido19

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I'll download the app. Thank you!

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I have had a 273 Chase for 18 years, which I believe is the same boat but not sure..yours may be a little underpowered but will take more than you can...

I fish 70 miles offshore out of Savannah and have 2300 hours on the boat doing that...I do have wings to help when the going get's rough but I regularly take the trip in 2-4 foot seas and they get higher than that offshore.

Play with the tabs and trim based on sea conditions...you do not have to mess with them much..

r

Seafarer_Bob

Reaction score
Outer Banks NC - Winter / Ocean City MD Summer
Model
Seafarer
".I do have wings to help when the going get's rough" wings?

Back to the OP the best way to learn what you and the boat can take is keep venturing further until you understand your comfort zone and learn how to anticipate the weather before it hits you in the face. That boat will easily handle a 5' chop but it'll be a slow wet ride.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That is a great addition to a center console. Makes the ride much more pleasurable.