What can you tell me about the 257 Advance?

askibum02

Reaction score
My biggest question is about the use of wood in 2006 or newer 257. Transits are notorious for going bad on older Grady's, I don't want to run into that. My price range is around $50-60k so I figure I can get a nice example with twin 150s. Anything to look for in particular? Thanks!

Finatic

Reaction score
I believe the 257 Advance has the greenwood plywood in the transom which apparently is not supposed to rot. I would however make sure all transducer and other screw holes are well caulked for extra precaution. I have a 2005 Advance with twin f150s and it is a great boat. I rides well and cuts through the chop. My only complaint with the boat is that it can be somewhat tight behind the leaning post when fishing offshore with a crew of 4 guys. In order to avoid tripping over on another, everyone needs to know their role. Otherwise it's a great boat. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Transoms go when penetrations are not sealed correctly an/or when the boat isn't stored properly (winter). Last year I sold an 85 Mako with the transom as solid as the day it was made.

Davpet60

Reaction score
Finatic said:
I believe the 257 Advance has the greenwood plywood in the transom which apparently is not supposed to rot. I would however make sure all transducer and other screw holes are well caulked for extra precaution. I have a 2005 Advance with twin f150s and it is a great boat. I rides well and cuts through the chop. My only complaint with the boat is that it can be somewhat tight behind the leaning post when fishing offshore with a crew of 4 guys. In order to avoid tripping over on another, everyone needs to know their role. Otherwise it's a great boat. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I had an 2005 257 Advance with twin 150s...LOVED that boat!!!! went to 282 Sailfish only because the wife wanted a cabin...

Finatic

Reaction score
Dave - agreed the 257 is a great boat and I think my next Grady will be the 282. How do you like yours? Also, I sent you a PM regarding your seat and bolster repairs. Thanks.