What causes gelcoat to do this?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
This from a boat that I have inquired about. It has a few spots like these. I've never seen this before and wondered what is causing it. It looks like paint over gelcoat, but it is on the top side of the boat. imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm no expert but I believe that's separation from there fiberglass underneath. Damage to fiberglass from there inside, delamination, water etc. Can you look from the inside and see it?

pckid

Reaction score
Model
Escape
Looks like an old gel coat repair that was improperly prepped. I say that because it looks like it peeled back and old gel coat exposed. This is on the inside of the boat and not the outer hull, CORRECT? Was the inside of boat painted at one time?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Looks like an old gel coat repair that was improperly prepped. I say that because it looks like it peeled back and old gel coat exposed. This is on the inside of the boat and not the outer hull, CORRECT? Was the inside of boat painted at one time?
It is the inside of the boat. I dont know if the inside was ever painted or re gelled.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It certainly does look like it's "peeling" - and gelcoat doesn't peel. Gelcoat would crack. Along the lines of what was mentioned, it appears to be painted. Whether it was a repair or something where (whatever brand that is) it was done from the factory - couldn't tell you that.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
It's a 2001 Grady. I'll have to ask the seller more questions, but it is turning me off at this point.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Be careful. Could be other issues unseen that haven't surfaced yet. Are you having a survey done?

seasick

Reaction score
That is odd indeed. Playing the devil's advocate, I would wonder if that there was major damage that required new fiberglass and new gel coat.If so, the gel coat may have been improperly applied.
Second case could be that the inside was sprayed with some sort of coating. In that case, the question is Why and is the problem going to spread over time.
The worst case that I mentioned needs to be ruled out. Getting to the back of that area would help a lot but I understand that having a look my not be easy. I would suggest that you look very closely at the outside of the hull in that general are to look for any signs of repairs such as wavey glass, ridges, uneven gel coat etc. In my typical doom and gloom persona, I have visions of something piercing the outer hull right into the deck area.
The advice to have a survey dome is spot on if you are interested in the boat.
The issue could be something simple like a bad paint job. You just need to know more.
I hope it is something simple.

seasick

Reaction score
I wonder; is the surface in that area, smooth and shinny or dull and matte looking? Throw a few drops of water at it and see if it beads up or gets absorbed.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks like paint peeling to me. No matter what - get a competent marine survey!

gw204

Reaction score
I think it's gelcoat. Look how thick it is as the top edge. Paint wouldn't build up like that unless you did 75 coats or had a ton of runs.

If you can't get a straight answer about what is doing on there...backed up with photo documentation and/or receipts for repair work...walk away.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think it's gelcoat. Look how thick it is as the top edge. Paint wouldn't build up like that unless you did 75 coats or had a ton of runs.
In the picture, that top edge appears thick because the paint is peeling away and the angle that the picture was taken at makes it appear much thicker than it really is.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
That photo was taken on the cabin side of the walk around. If it matters.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Looks like gel coat underneath, probably awlgrip paint peeling.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The more I look at the photo and take into account all the comments, I think I can tell what is going on. Looking at the top and bottom edge near the no skid, you can see some peeling. The non skid above and below are the same color, but the peeling area is more yellow. Some type of paint or gel coat was applied and is now peeling off. Either this guy really doesn't know what's going on or he is hiding something. Either way, I'm passing on this one for this and other reasons.
Thanks for the thoughts.