What could Grady do better?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't think that most people on here are complaining about having to buy a "stock part" when something goes out after 15-20 years of use, or even considerably longer. The issue I typically have with having to a "stock" or "replacement part" is when something is no longer made or is discontinued, but it is unique to the boat. Then, for instance as you alluded to above with your light fixture example, when you have to find an exact replacement it's either a considerable amount of money or you have to buy something "close" to replace it with that isn't an exact fit. Which will add to the cost of the replacement part to begin with, and can oftentimes make things look odd as it's not how it would've looked stock or there's lines/fading or whatnot and you can see where the old fixture used to be. I get that boat manufacturers can't really force a parts manufacturer to continue producing parts on every boat model over the last 30 years but a lot of these parts are made very cheaply, which makes it even more frustrating.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My favorite design over the years ended up being the one I dreamed of owning someday and now have....The 252G model. I love the swim platform and bracket as it gives a very large fish box in the transom and close access over the motors when fishing in comparison to the euro transom design.
The space in the cockpit is amazing for a boat this size. If every introducing a new bracket model, which solves the cap issue with transom mounted motors, the only complaint here is less floatation in the back, which can be improved with a better bracket design.
Agree with most of what has been said, but the hardtop on my model is very strong and I am a heavy guy and there is no deflection on the top when walking around up there!
However, the lighter the better as there is a lot of stress on the tower from that heavy of a hardtop. Have rewelds to prove it.

Higher windshields would be a bonus, but I normally sit when running offshore and can see through no issue. Standing is a bit of an issue as the canvas and top of windshield are right in the line of sight.

Access to all the through hulls on this model were not bad due to the transom design, you can remove the entire back panel and get to everything in the back without any issue.
I agree that floor panels with drains is the way to go. Everytime I have to pull a hatch, it is a nightmare to clean up all the caulk, retape and recaulk again.

I have been on some of the newer euro transom models and find that there is no good size fishbox compared to the one in the transom on the bracket model. I can not fit the wahoo in the box on the 28 or 30' models, so very happy to have this design. It reminds me of the sportfishers that have the same setup. Sometimes I feel like I am driving a sportfisher offshore! :cool:

Modifications I have made over time is to make more storage for tackle and gear. Even though this model has a lot of storage space already, I keep finding I need more room! Oh, that means I need a bigger boat! Maybe it can be in the cards for future.......dunno, but I would really hate losing this layout!